Author Topic: Second Tn Classic, Second self bow attempt SUCCESS  (Read 7370 times)

Offline gothmog

Second Tn Classic, Second self bow attempt SUCCESS
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:47:39 pm »
Last year I attended my firts Tn Classic, and tried to make my first bow.  That poor little piece of hickory didn't know what hit it.  Came in WAY under weight, and still had hinges and stiff spots.  I was determined to learn how to make bows, however, and bought and read all 4 volumes of The Traditional Bowyers Bible.  At this years Classic, I felt I was prepared to listen to the Twin Oaks guys suggestions and LEARN this art from their lessons.  I got a piece of Osage Orange and got to work.  With the guidance of a few very helpfull Twin Oaks members, I shaped and tillered.  I learned 2 different methods of making a Flemish Twist string, and made 1 for this bow.  I got the snake skins on there, and finished it all here at home with 10 coats of tru oil.  Ended up with a weapon I cannot wait to take my first traditional harvest with this year.  Bow came in at exactly my target weight of 60# @ 28".  70" tip to tip, 68" NTN.  Western Diamondback skins, beaver silencers, shelf is of built up leather.  Handle is a scrap of leather I had laying around, and the overlays are elk antler.  I love the snake-y-ness of the wood with the skins, and the knot hole in the upper limb was fun to work with.  Makes a great "peep Sight", huh? ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gothmog

Re: Second Tn Classic, Second self bow attempt SUCCESS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »
few more

Offline gothmog

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:51:22 pm »
few more

Offline gothmog

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »
Sorry so many pics, just excited about this.  Shoots sweet, very little handshock, and very fast.  When unstrung it holds a little reflex.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:54:13 pm »
Dang Josh that turned out nice.  I really like the looks of those Diamondbacks.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gothmog

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »
Thanks Josh.  That was quick, I JUST finished posting.  Was hoping to hear from you.  I love it, and thanks for the lesson!  I have a string jig very similar to yours now, too.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:01:47 pm »
Hey, you are welcome "Josh O"   ;D  glad I could help, and glad to see you are making your own strings now.  It is sooooo much cheaper/more rewarding/convienient than buying them isn't it?   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »
Well done! Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 08:21:45 pm »
dang boy,thats your second bow   :o :o
you definatly learned since that first piece of hick
very nicely done
congrats,now on to #3   ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 08:40:12 pm »
Good job! That one turned out to be a mighty fine-looking weapon. Good work on the details, too. Looks like a good hunting companion to me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »
Beautiful looking bow!  Both braced and unbraced.  Is that seriously your first attempt since last year's Classic Hickory Massacre?

Offline gothmog

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:05:50 pm »
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement boys.  Yep, seriously my very next attempt.  Just was ready to listen and learn after reading the bibles, and did not rush this time.  Learned to take my time on that first one.  The first trip I REALLY wanted to shoot the courses, and rushed.  This year I didn't even see the courses.  The only shots I took all week were to test this, about 9-12 shots total into a practice block after final tillering.  JoshA, after handling your copperhead bow, I was just hoping it would come out a fraction as nice.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:14 pm »
THAT my friend is spectacular!  Well done and I really like the effort you put into finishing it!

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »
Well Josh...this Years Classic was good for You....that Bow looks great....wish My Second looked that Well...... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:34 pm »
 That is a very nice looking bow. It's amazing how much of the learning curve can be whittled away at the Classic. There is so much experiance and advice from the Twin Oaks crew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?