Author Topic: Artificial Snake skin  (Read 14397 times)

bowkee

Artificial Snake skin
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:12 pm »
I recently acquired one of my Osage bows back and was thinking of putting an artificial snake skin pattern on it, any Ideas?
I was thinking of using some fine linen cloth I have and making a roller with a carved skin pattern so I can emboss the backing.
I was thinking of the California king snake pattern.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:31:56 pm by bowkee »

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Artificial Snake skin
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:33:55 pm »
Just a thought for an alternative to making your own, I got a couple of yards of snake skin print material off of ebay. worked out to about $3 a bow. I am to lazy to try to print my own (unless I use the puter and iron on transfers).
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:39:46 pm »
I'd be very interested in seeing how this works out, bowkee!  Are you thinking of making a wooden roller, or some kind of rubber/linoleum sort?  I know some people who have expressed some interest in decorative backings, and this would open up some very interesting possibilities, I think.
Please keep us apprised!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:46:36 pm »
Some guys have stretched onion sacks over the back of the bow and sprayed it to get the scale pattern of snakeskins.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:37:10 am »
A fishnet stocking stretched over the bow & used as a template pruduces great scale patterns!
I don't have any pics, but I sprayed up a couple of bike gas tanks like this over the years. What works especially well is to spray flat black first, then stretch over the stocking & topcoat with gloss black. It's a very subtle, but surprisinly natural & realistic look!
Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

bowkee

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:41:38 am »
Hugh! Thats cool , I'll try all of them ideas.
I did buy some rubber stamp padding and put it on a wood dowel but carving the pattern is going to take some time.
I think the sack and fishnet idea are cool and easier.

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:28:20 am »
Unless your really bent on making your own pattern rudderbows.com sells a fabric snake skin print backings for about 10.00. Thee different patterns of snake skin.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

bowkee

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »
after figuring on how I would have to carve all those grooves on an embosser I think I will choose the easier path with this project.
I did find something that will work But I would have to tear it apart, It's one of those bug zappers.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »
Unless your really bent on making your own pattern rudderbows.com sells a fabric snake skin print backings for about 10.00. Thee different patterns of snake skin.
I don't care for the fabric at all.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:01:57 pm »
A fishnet stocking stretched over the bow & used as a template pruduces great scale patterns!
I don't have any pics, but I sprayed up a couple of bike gas tanks like this over the years. What works especially well is to spray flat black first, then stretch over the stocking & topcoat with gloss black. It's a very subtle, but surprisinly natural & realistic look!

Cool idea!
I'm gonna try that one...unless you have some kind of fishnet stocking rights on this. ;D
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:09:23 pm »
 Phillip, you can buy that size screen at most Hardware stores.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

bowkee

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 02:26:00 pm »
Thanks Eddie, sure is complicated figuring how to do a california king snake, meaning the scale colors are black /white or yellow brown but inbetween that is a tan hue,Whew!

bowkee

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »
Well I think I have a solution, I found some mesh material on a basket and cut a piece. I then use a couple stenciling brushes.
For the backing material I will be using a double layer of Fine linen. The rest is self explanatory, looks good enough for me. The sample is not linen.  The finished project should look Better, I hope. Phillip

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 03:38:38 pm »
Looking good so far. Looking foward to a pic of the finished item!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

bowkee

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 06:40:59 pm »
Gotter done as far as I could.
after the 2 layers of linen were applied with TB2 and dried I put an under coat of a Tan Hue, dried then stenciled the black, let it dry and applied the white. Kinda over lapped a little but I think it's ok ???
Don't know why we can't use snake skins here.