Author Topic: rotten wood or not? please advise  (Read 2604 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
rotten wood or not? please advise
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:57:48 pm »
I saw this straight hawthorn tree by the side of the road last spring and I just noticed some one has cut off the top and left it standing , so it died. I sawed it down and debarked it today and there was some surface 'spalding' or rot. This can be easily scraped off with a sharp knife but does this mean the wood will be no-good, or will it be good underneath??? It still feels heavy it hasnt dried out yet, but died standing over the course of a year.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: rotten wood or not? please advise
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »
I would consider any white wood in that condition as firewood.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline acker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »
Take the rotten wood of with your drawknife.
If you're lucky  it's just 1" deep in the wood .

acker

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »
It doesnt go deeper than a few scrapes with a sharp blade or I wouldnt consider using it, but was wondering if even that was a sign the wood was compromised?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:21:21 pm »
I'd scrape it all of and see where it's at from there. It looks to me like it's just the cambium layer that is mis-colored which would be expected if it has been dead any amount of time. I have pulled bark off walnut and underneath it looked much like that, took a lot more scraping than I would have liked but it was fine underneath the dried cambium.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

paganwannbe

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 06:29:20 pm »
This might sound a bit crazy but if you do make it and it  blows up you know not to try something like that again but if it does not you get a new bow out of it and it will probably be one of a kind to. But hey man whatever floats your boat and I know I'm not much help but if you do make try to take a video so if it blows up you can show everybody what happens when a bow breaks that has not seen it and wants to avoid it.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:49 pm »
Do not waste your time with Spaulted Whitewoods...you will waste time...and possibly get Hurt when it Blows...and it will....just a matter of when...trust me...I have tried a number of them...and they hurt when they Blow......and it Blows when they Hurt.... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »
Dead whitewood is not a good choice for bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:00:42 pm »
Spalted wood looks nice on many other projects- like knife handles ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »
I would use it for fire wood i have tried some like that they all blew on me. It's not worth your time.
SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 06:57:08 am »
I would use it for fire wood also ,but if you want to give it a try, to save you some time after you get the bad looking wood off take a sliver and make a quick little small bow,maybe a foot long and see how it bends,if it bends good without breaking then go for it.Most white wood are no good and dry rot very quick when left outside in the elements. I do the small bow trick quite offten on wood I have questions about.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:33:16 am »
I see you are in Wales (UK like me).
I'm with commadore on this one...
If you want to see what you can get away with check out my one hour bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16984.0.html   It was Hazel, with nasty grey patches in most of the wood, I was going to throw it away, but quickly chopped it into a working bow.
The bottom line is make your own choice weighing up the time expended vs risk.
If it's your only available wood then it seems good enough to me, I've use similar 'standing dead' wood (Maple) and once you got under the first half inch it was beautiful.
I s'pose your local climate and insect population will make a big difference too (those guys in the USA have some mean bugs, six foot wing spans on some of 'em I've heard ::)
Del
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:30:04 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 09:53:37 am »
Pappy's dead on with the little bow technique.It tells you plenty ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:26 pm »
Thanks guys for the imput. Looks like the general opinion is, leave it. The bow test is a good idea though, may try it when I've got time. But I've got betterr wood, fancied trying hawthorn though and it was so straight for hawthorn ??? pity!!

Offline wodpow

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »
By now you should have split it out and should of noticed if a fungus has made it's way to any depth. I have used one year dead standing Hickory and the only thing that I had to deal with was those little white grub borers under the bark and going into the heart wood in places.