Author Topic: Need opinion on scale for tillering tree  (Read 2507 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Need opinion on scale for tillering tree
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »
I built my tillering tree this weekend and I'd like some advice on some scales to finish it out. I want a scale to be able to pull while tillering to monitor the weight and minimize set. I'm looking at 100 lb +/- scales because I'm likely to make bows over 50 lbs. I've found these and want to know opinions from anyone who has used the same or similar scales:

morningbite.com/Weston-100-Lb-Spring-Scale-14-0306-W-p/mbp-14-0306-w.htm - The cheaper of the two scales and I like the sliding piece to mark max weight

ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280512601642&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT - Hanson viking scale at the best price I've found but shipping is high. (Pleas don't buy this before I get a chance)

I've used the viking scale before and know it's robust but I'm cheap I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Please feel free to share if you know of somewhere that sells a scale that will work for less.

Thanks in advance, Jason
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Need opinion on scale for tillering tree
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »
I have the Pelouze (sp.?) bow scale. I got it from Three Rivers, I think-works great and wasn't expensive at all if I remember right.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:33:50 pm »
That one is pretty much the same as the viking but costs $52.50 plus shipping.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:38:31 pm »
Pelouze for me as well.  Also from 3 Rivers.  I don't know about the other scales you mentioned, but I would make sure you buy something you can trust,  The last thing you want is the scale blowing at full draw. :o
Traverse City, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:50:14 am »
I have used the pelouze viking for lots of years. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 10:07:19 am »
I use the same one Hillbilly and bigcountry uses,they hold up great and mine get a lot of abuse
because everyone using it and of course at the Classic it seems to get dropped a lot.I just replaced mine old one after 7 or 8 years and got it from Three rivers. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:34:29 am »
I got a taylor looks about the same as Pappy's
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?