Author Topic: Manly Things, er, um...sewing machines  (Read 7245 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Manly Things, er, um...sewing machines
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:08:29 pm »
Alright guys don't be ashamed, let's talk openly about sewing machines. what do you guys use for sewing heavy stuff like leather. I've used an old garage sale singer from the 50's for lighter leather work and it is OK but still leaves something to be desired. anything with heavy leather is all done by hand which gets real old in a hurry. so what do you guys have/use for real heavy duty leather work?

I've looked at the Tippmann Boss, but that is a bit out of my price range, although as it usually works out, any tool worth it's salt is out of my price range.
45# at 27"

Offline sailordad

Re: Manly Things, er, um...sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:06:03 pm »
all my stitch work is done primitively,like all the other stuff i like to make  ;D
all by hand,no machine for me.i cut the leather out by hand,form it by hand,stitch it by hand
its to bad that i have to use artificial sinew for thread(i hate the looks of it,personal thing  ;) )

never thought of using a machine to do my leather work
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »
I prefer hand stitching for most leather. It gives you a lot stronger seam(especially with a harness stitch) and looks better than machine stitching. I find it very therapeutic!  ;D
  A treadle powered shoe tacking machine will stitch heavy leathers if you can find one or an expensive walking foot machine but you are talking $1000 or more for a decent one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:29:26 pm »
All hand sewn...with either a punch and a Needle and Thread...or a Punch and a Sewing Awl...but mainly by Hand....more Satisfying...and stronger too..JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:54:31 am »
i do mine by hand.  have a little hand punch thingy with different size holes.  i felt bad enough going to the sewing section to get the big needle to thread the holes!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:13:33 am »
                           oh....don't be scared...ya goota let your Femine Side show once and a while.......... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:45:37 am »
You know, I'm quite a big guy and I don't shave on a regular basis...
Stepped into this tiny downtown knitting shop the other day to find myself some nice wool to make an arrow cleaner from. Got the old lady who runs the store into a little chat about natural wool... She seemed to be thinking she was on hidden camera or something!  ;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57:01 am »
Good topic.  My mother was a seamstress so I know how to use a sewing machine.

You can't get around the fact that you get what you pay for.  A good machine that sews leather isn't going to be cheap....just ask a shoe maker.

A sewing machine speeds things up A LOT but you will lose the primitive look.  I've tried the machines and they are really nice, but you can get pretty good at hand sewing if you learn how to sew with the fewest stitches possible.  It's easy to get carried a way and spend all day sewing a few simple seams with very tight stiching.

My advice is to try to learn from someone who does a lot of hand stitching.  They will tell you that nothing beats the hand stitched look.  The only drawback is the funny looks you will get from people (especially kids) when they catch you sewing.   ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 10:15:18 am »
In the old days, I had a computer type Pfaff and I sewed all my own welding shirts and hats (the Kromer style) and camo hunting shirts because there were none on the market.  I have a 3/4 horse Pfaff that I use to sew chaps and chinks, panniers, and a full length Aussie style rain coat for my in the saddle days. Made all my Prudhoe travel bags with it. The little pfaff had a mother board break down and like all things they don't make parts for them.  A new one costs around two grand!  The only thing I sew on my wife's machine are bow socks!  All my other projects are hand sewn like canteens, scabbards, hunting clothes, plains quivers, tooled projects are often laced!  My game warden friend has all the big machines for building saddles and when I need something like a mule britchen I have him sew it on one of them.  Sew (so) my OPINION is that its OK to use a machine on your non primitive projects.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03:29 am »
When I had my leather shop back in the mid 70's(yes, the 1970's  ;D ) we had a Singer treadle shoe tacker and a Pfaff motor driven, walking foot sewing machine that were great for production work. If I could afford another Pfaff I would surely get one but most of my serious stitch work would still be by hand.
 ...and like Patrick(jackcrafty) said different hand sewing methods can be used for different projects, depending on the intended use of the item sewn. A simple running or whip stitch(in one hole and out the other) is sufficient for what most of us are needing. For a stronger seam a saddle(or harness) stitch has double the strength and durability. With a saddle stitch you use one long thread with a needle at each end. Push one needle through the hole and pull the thread half way through(same length thread with a needle on either side). Then both needles through the next hole from opposite sides and pulled tight, then through the next hole and so on. This is a very durable stitch but one that is overkill for most projects. I still use this method for most stitching. Lacing is like a running stitch but is a more decorative approach with the option of different lacing designs for a fancier effect.
  With all these methods you have to punch your stitching holes before the stitching starts. I use a stitching chisel(from leather supply shops) that come in single hole type or for making 3, 4 or 8 holes at once. Some folks use a hole punch with the option of different size holes for different size threads or lacing and others use a simple stitching gizmo that is a needle with a handle attached and integral thread that works like a sewing machine. For what we use our leather for any of these methods is sufficiently strong enough so it is what you prefer that is important.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 12:31:32 am »
All good comments, i do a lot of hand stiching, it's all i got! and it seems like most you you guys do too, i was just curious. Although i don't think a sewing machine makes something any less primitive than hand stiching with polyethylene terephthalate (polyester, artificial sinew), sure doesn't sound primitive does it  ;D

i think one of the most useful things my mom taught me was how to use a sewing machine, making/mending hunting clothes, bow socks, duffle bags, etc, etc. I have two young boys, and they'll both learn to use a sewing machine.
45# at 27"

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:51:10 am »
Dan,nothing wrong with knowing how to use one.
and i agree it doesnt make any project less primitive.
but like others have stated,you do get a stronger stitch by hand.
a machine may make it quiker to stitch something up.
but this is just a hobby,so why rush  ;)

good for you on wanting to learn the younguns how to sew.
ive been darning my own socks and such since i was in the 5th grade.
i can stitch by hand,used to be able to use a machine(yrs ago).
thems life skills that youll be learnin them,just like how to make a bow ;D
life skils
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:27:57 am »
I've had this discussion lately, also.  My wife does a fair amount of sewing, she's made clothes for the nieces and nephews, quilts and such, some bags and other odds and ends.  I've always greatly admired the craft.  I remember learning how to use one when I was young.  My mother always repaired stuff that could be or hemmed pants for me.  When I was a kid I just wanted to learn how to use it 'cause I thought it was fun!
Haven't touched one in awhile.  Lots of things that I'd love to get made though, but always ask Angie.  I don't know why.
Strange how it's been sort of 'typecast' as a more female tool, doesn't actually make any sense.  I always get a huge kick out of seeing natural fabrics being made and used.  It's really an extension of this pool of interest in my book - just like food and cooking.
I'd say some would argue that cooking is for the ladies. 
Not in my family!
1’—>1’

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:54 pm »
I like to hand-stitch leather, too. I'd probably still hand-stitch it even if I had a machine that would sew it. I remember that my Grandma had one of those old treadle sewing machines that would stitch through durn near anything.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »

There is nothing wrong with using a sewing machine......after all, it is a "Machine"  and men, use machines! ;)  Just don't put any lace, or other foo foos, on any of your projects, and keep to the manly color theme, then you will be fine. 8)  As for stitching by hand, I am like you, I can't afford anything for any heavy weight stuff, even canvas.  I used to do a lot of leather stuff when I was in high school, when my brother bought some stuff from Tandy, and then lost interest in it, after a year or so.  I still have his knife, and it is held by the thumb, and second finger, with the index on a little bow shaped piece on top.  Can't think of the name of it, and I have a three pronged lacing hole cutter, and even some of the stamps, for making designs in the leather.    You can make all these things your self.  Somewhere I have a couple of lacing needles.  I used to have a marking wheel, for marking the sewing holes, to keep them even without having to eyeball it, but I normally use the three pronger without going all the way through, just enough to mark it.  Though I do alright without it.  I bought a medical wheel, quite similar, but longer spikes, and quite sharp.  It is used to test for sensitivity.  Thought it might make a good marking wheel.  When I sew something, especially something long, like a quiver, or such, I have two pieces of trim mold, that has a round bevel on the top, and flat on the backside.  The kind used against the wall and floor.  Base boards, actually.  They are about a foot and a half long.  After I have marked the sewing holes, and used an awl on the leather, I then line up the pieces, and clamp them in the boards, with just the stitch site above the rounded edge, of the board clamps, and depending on what I am sewing, I will either just hold it in my hands, or clamp it in a vice, and sew.  I get the clamps to hold the boards together at the "Mans store"  Harbor F.   ;D  Makes the sewing much faster.  I just use the sewing awl with a lock stitch.  I have and occasionally still use needles, and hand. With the board clamping the pieces together, it's also is easier to control the piece you are sewing, and not get the thread all tangled up with the piece you are sewing. ;)  If you are familiar with sewing, then I don't need to tell you about turning it inside out first, then turning it right side out.  ::) You can use shorter pieces of trim mold, for smaller size projects.  This size just works well for me.  I saw an Eskimo, or Inuit rain coat made from a couple of walrus bladders.  It was very light, and somewhat transparent.  It was in a Museum in Daytona, Florida, and the card said it was hand sewn.  It looked like a machine had done it. :o  But I guess when you have been doing this sort of thing since you were a small child, you tend to get pretty good at it.  It basically looked like VERY thin rawhide, but it was very flexible looking.  Pretty neat !  8)

Wayne