Author Topic: Arctic Inuit Otter Arrow (to go with the new cabled arctic bow)  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Arctic Inuit Otter Arrow (to go with the new cabled arctic bow)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 10:48:15 pm »
That's why it's fun to post some stuff, Eastern.....that makes perfect sense to me....more drag (sounds real simple now that ya bring it up). Shows how smart I aint :D
rich

Those flats run down the shaft very far?  Are the holes for the tether thru the flats? hhhm, maybe the tether is simply tied round the shaftinstead? Maybe just easier to drill a hole on a flat surface than a rounded one - I guess that may be another reason for them...I could be waaaaay off here too! Just thinking outside the box abit.

half eye

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:14 pm »
Eastern, there aren't any holes drilled in the shaft.....just one thru the head and one into the bone foresaft to loosely accept the head.
Rich

Offline Diligence

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:16 am »
Is it possible that the flats allow for a more hydro-dynamic shape?  Perhaps the arrow tracks better when shot into the water?

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 04:11:14 pm »
Beautifully done harpoon arrow, Rich.  Can't for the life of me think why the flats need to be there, though...

That would sure work wonders for any kinds of "fishing" - otters, carp, gar, tilapia.  Much better for us wood bow types than the fiberglass shaft fishing arrow.. 
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

half eye

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »
Ken,
      Never thought of it that way, I'd say you are right....would make a great water hunting arrow, just may have to try that out. Only fish we can bow-hunt during the summer is the rough fish.....so I'll sure find out how tough they are for real.
Rich

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 08:43:19 pm »

How did they keep the arrow from going through the Otter?  If it went through, or just the barb went out the other side, how would the arrow be deployed for a tracking device like a bobber?  Cool arrow though.

Wayne

half eye

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:30 pm »
Stickbender,
       It looks to me like the ivory/bone fore shaft is too large in diameter to allow that to happen, especially if the otter is partially submerged or swimming at the time. The different groups of Inuit have several different versions of these (they are all the same basically) so I can only believe they work as advertised......but can't say for sure. I guess the fore shaft was pretty big....the author doesn't say for sure but the shaft is reported to be 1/2" diameter in the middle with a barrell taper.
Rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 09:23:36 pm »
Cool arrow Rich :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 03:14:30 pm »
that's really cool, i love this kind of stuff. the only thing i thought about though was the sinew string. how long could a real sinew string last submerged in water and under the stress of being pulled around by an otter, it must have been very well waxed or tarred or something.
45# at 27"

half eye

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »
Gopher,
      By the time they get done treating their leather goods (including sinew cordage) with seal or whale fat I dont think the water would have a chance. Also those fat concoctions don't feeze either. I guess the squints found some freeze dried Inuit mummies and while the people were completely dried their leather clothing and goods were absolutely pristine, according to their reports.
Rich

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »
Thats great stuff Rich, you are a wealth of Knowledge.
45# at 27"