Author Topic: British Longbow Society ELB definition?  (Read 14391 times)

Offline markinengland

British Longbow Society ELB definition?
« on: June 06, 2010, 04:52:32 am »
Are any on here current BLBS members and able to confirm the current longbow rules/definition?

I'm after this to help us sort out the Primitive bow class rules within the UK National Field Archery Society.

Thanks

Offline spinney

Re: British Longbow Society ELB definition?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:08:11 am »

The British Longbow Society ELB definitions on what constitutes a long bow are crazy and stupid.
Bows have to have a certain cross section.
Have a D shaped belly.
have to have horn knocks ect ect ect.

All these stupid rules that are open to interpretation is madness.

My proposal: If the bow is as long as the archer is tall its a long bow!!!

Simple.

Andrew

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:22:43 am »
Spinney, I do agree with you in that the specific requirements for a "correct ELB" are a little ridiculous and designed (in my opinion) to distance it's self from basically all other forms of archery, claiming a kind of élitism and raised position in the archery world.

That being said, we've not really answered the question ;D

I'll have a word with some people that may be in the know and see what I can turn up ;)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:37:21 pm »
I agree, and whats all this 'royal order of the lonbow' and 'royal guild of master bowyers'  stuff,   and special outfits, isnt it  a bit outdated , totally elitist, and a bit silly??? a long bow is a bow of long length
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline acker

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:01:26 pm »
We have this discussion at least twice a year in my home forum . ;D
We didn't really came to a point yet  ???

Out of the "  Encyclopedia of Archery "

"  Types of bows

Main article: Bow (weapon)

A longbow is a type of bow that is tall (roughly equal to or greater than the height of a person), is not recurved, and has relatively narrow limbs that are D-shaped in cross section. The traditional English longbow is usually made so that its thickness is at least ⅝ of its width. If the thickness is less than ⅝ of its width then the bow would be disqualified from most modern longbow competitions. Typically a longbow is widest at the handle. Longbows have been used for hunting and warfare, by many cultures around the world, a famous example being the English longbow, during the Middle Ages. "

acker

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:05:53 pm »
Some of the definitions are nonsense and some people get rather precious about it all.
These self proclaimed experts, societies and guilds irritate me!
I doubt that all the Mary Rose bows would meet some of the definitions.
BTW, TBB vol 1 has got it wrong! :o The Mary Rose was raised from Portsmouth Harbour not Plymouth.
I hate rules and regulations, my self Yew bow wouldn't meet some definitions as it has self nocks which is bonkers when some laminated scawny thing made of exotic woods not used in medieval times with a chess piece stuck on each end would qualify.
Del
<click... grumpy mode off>
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 06:11:00 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:38:52 pm »
Ah let them have their societies and guilds and all the farcical shite that they build walls around themselves with.  They've got their ideas, just like everyone else has their own.  Some like arrow shelves, some don't.  Some like recurves, some don't.  Some only make selfbows, others; laminates...  It's a big ol' World out there.  Each to his/her own.  It's only if/when someone has a pop at your interests that they need to be "reassured of their position in life" ;D

If people/clubs/associations wish to restrict the types of bows into shoots and competitions because they don't meet "authentic" specifications...  Then they're missing out on a world of fun.  So I say we have the fun without them...   :D

And no...  next I won't be saying "we should include compound bows in traditional shoots..."   hehehe

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »
I'm assuming that none of the respondents to this post are actually members of the BLBS. If they were they would know, if they read the inside of any BLBS year book, that the BLBS exists to perpetuate the shooting of longbows as they were shot in the pre Victorian and Edwardian eras (late 18th to early 20th century). For any of you that own surviving examples of bows from this era (Buchanan, Muir, Aldred, Ayres, Waring...etc) you will know that the BLBS specification matches exactly the form and style of the bows used in an era many people believe to be the golden age of competitive target archery.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:44:56 pm »
I respect your personal interests and preferences, but not the confused ideas about the elb that abound here in the uk. The elb was developed as a mass produced weapon of war, by corrupt saxon and norman kings in the middle ages, to arm the dissposable cannon fodder, in corrupt wars and subjugation of the people. The original  free inhabitants of these islands , long killed off, used different syle bows, which where the original elbs, these where the true golden days I believe
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline markinengland

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 02:47:17 am »
Would it be too much to ask to keep this thread on track?

If you want to digress and talk about other things please create your own thread.

If you can answer my genuine question, asked to help clarify a genuine issue for primitive archers being forced to shoot within the NFAS longbow class because they happen to have a bow that is long and narrow please do so.

So, how exactly does the BLBS define "longbow"? I'm after the exact quoted wording.

Thanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:07 am »
Would it be too much to ask to keep this thread on track?

If you want to digress and talk about other things please create your own thread.

If you can answer my genuine question, asked to help clarify a genuine issue for primitive archers being forced to shoot within the NFAS longbow class because they happen to have a bow that is long and narrow please do so.

So, how exactly does the BLBS define "longbow"? I'm after the exact quoted wording.

Thanks
OK...  Short answer I don't have the BLBS definition (I won't insult you by suggesting the obvious place to ask).
But... IMHO.
If you are interested in NFAS classifications, then I don't see that the BLBS has any relevance at all.
When you say you are trying to 'sort out' the NFAS deffinition, does that mean you are involved in re-writing it?

I'm in the NFAS and having just read their definitions, as far as I can see there is some ambiguity and overlap. The deffinition of 'primitive' it says 'based on evdience for a bow which existed at least 500 years ago' but the longbow fits this, it also says 'consrtructed of natural materials (excluding glues and finishes) but most longbows would also meet this.
I can find no reference to length!
It seems that from a technical/scientific/beurocratic viewpoint the definition is poor. But from the point of view of someone making and shooting bows for enjoyment and using their common sense it is excellent.

So you declare the category it belongs in as long as you can justify it. (which is sort of the point I was alluding to in my previous post)
Out of interest I'm currently making a 59" primitive Yew bow, the stave is rather narrow, it could be argued that it fits in with the NFAS definition of 'longbow' which could be useful as I shoot in a 'longbow only' club. However common sense and a casual glance tells you it is a primitive.

If you are involved in re-writing the definition I would plead for as little change as possible. Maybe just add the wording that 'Longbow is a subset of primitive' and add a lower length limit for longbow (e.g no shorter than the height of the archer minus two inches (or some such figure)).
I think rules often add to the confusion rather than minimising it, so if you add fancy definitions of cross section who is going to check it? (Have you got the verniers? No I always walk like this ::))

I hope that this is some both on topic and some help (I hope it wasn't me that you were slapping down :'( )
Del
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:50:56 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:55:30 am »
 With all respect.We are a bunch of predominantly American 'PRIMITIVE archers, so what kind of answer did you expect to get? I dont think my reply was off the point, who can have a monopoly on the term ' longbow' and' english'? and how long is long? and how short is short? , I was just making the point that it needs some more practical definitions, why stick to the old ones if they dont make sense?  Long obviously refers to length, so fixing a length would be a good practical start! Roughly as long as the archer, isnt really that helpful.! As for cross sections etc thats ridiculous, what other bow class would use these kind of rules? Would compounds fix diameter and shape and width and cross sections of cams? How flat should an american flat bow be?. Bowyers are practical people concerned with pracicalities, and practical solutions, we will help them redefine their terms and sort this problem out!!

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:01 am »
Perhaps, Dragonman, the war bow folks are trying to import that nonesense here? I can not for the life of me see why there is such animosity over the English longbow and it's varients, but lots of venom is on exhibit, was on, and will be on exhibit.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:09:08 am »
Dane, perhaps thats because they are , or where 'warbows', there is the echo of war attatched to them

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:17 pm »
My theory is that the spirits of the medieval dead somehow influence them, and they can be a bit belligerant. I don't totally believe that, but do a bit.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts