Author Topic: Getting material for #3  (Read 1636 times)

Offline gothmog

Getting material for #3
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:09 am »
Wanna do a 2 piece take down.  Gonna get a sleeve from 3rivers.  Have some ipe, thinking about backing it with hickory strips from 3rivers as well.  Maybe a layer of rawhide over that for insurance?  What do you experienced guys think?  If I do the rawhide, should I take it down into the sleeve, all the way to the end of the limb?  Thanks for any input.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: Getting material for #3
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
From what I've seen and read, I would do hickory OR rawhide, but not both.  If you do Hickory or another solid backing strip like QS Maple or bamboo, a soft back like rawhide or silk is redundant and not particularly functional.  The weight of the rawhide would slow the bow down, as well.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 02:00:02 pm »
I agree with Ken. Either one or the other!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:38:02 pm »
I know that people do back ipe with hickory and claim some success, my experience of these 2 woods is that hickory doesnt have the elastic strength to comress ipe. The bow may work and the hickory will appear to stretch but the fibres of hickory will be compromised. Ipe is a hard- hard wood, bamboo  would get much more out of the ipe than hickory if you want a fast bow over an alright bow, Check this out with others though, dont just take my word , Hope this helps

'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline gothmog

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:57:15 pm »
Thanks for the input so far.  I guess I'll wait for a little more info before I order backing material.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:37:43 pm »
boo&ipe makes a great bow don't know about backing it with hickory.
bryan irwin

Offline gothmog

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:53:52 pm »
The boo backing on 3rivers looks to still have a curved shape to it.  Need to scrape/plane/sand it flat I guess?  Leave the back crowned?