Author Topic: Rawhide vs. silk vs. linen  (Read 8589 times)

Offline bigcountry

Rawhide vs. silk vs. linen
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:53:19 pm »
What do you guys think is stronger better backing that is good for violated rings around knots?

I have used all.  But unless a bow blows up I can't say what is best.

One thing for sure, I have tried my best to pull apart a 1" piece of rawhide without luck.  It stretches, but is tough stuff.  Linen I could probably pull apart but only because the way its weaved, but it doesn't give or stretch.  Silk is probably my least favorite.  Guess because its smooth and not sure if it glues down as good as the others.  I put snake skins over silk and had to reglue edges.  But snakeskins seem to love to be glued to rawhide. 

The only bad part of rawhide I think its it probably adds alot of mass to a bow compared to linen.   This is all for conversation.
Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Rawhide vs. silk vs. linen
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:16 pm »
Rawhide is the strongest. Will it protect back violations? I can't say. Linen is next and may fit over the knots better. Can you "fix" the violations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:50 pm »
Silk is good and  I also have used burlap. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
Rawhide is the strongest. Will it protect back violations? I can't say. Linen is next and may fit over the knots better. Can you "fix" the violations. Jawge

I don't have any violations but have got in the habit of backing every bow I make with rawhide or silk or linen.  I don't know, just insurance I guess.  I always worry about pins. 

I do want to make a bow one time or another that I believe has a perfect back. 
Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »
big, you mentioned violated rings around knots which is why I brought it up. For the record I try to bring the know to the same ring as the rest of the back. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:33:23 pm »
I know from experience that rawhide won't prevent a ring violation from lifting, but it will prevent the bow from violently exploding in that situation.
Gordon

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »
I know from experience that rawhide won't prevent a ring violation from lifting, but it will prevent the bow from violently exploding in that situation.

Great info.  And thats what I am really after.  For instance I made a bow for my wife.  Last thing I need is it exploding.  Not good.  It could fail.  I could handle that.  But not exploding.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »
My osage bow with the tiger stripe tissue paper (Shere Khan) had a rawhide backing and blew all to hell and into many pieces. No backing will save a bow that is going to fail. They are only insurance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:43:15 pm »
That's what I was trying to get at. I'd rather fix the violations and then back it. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:34:03 pm »
To Me...I only Back for Protection of Future Dents and Dings while Hunting or Shooting 3-D Courses where there is a big chance of Smacking a Limb...or maybe even falling and dropping Your Bow...I will not Back a Piece of Inferior Wood with Silk...Linen...or Rawhide to save a Stave from the Fire Pit...If I can't fix the Violations...or the sliver....I will either toss it...or Sinew Back it...and even then it could still blow...there are no Sure Things...when it comes to Wood....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:49:25 pm »
My osage bow with the tiger stripe tissue paper (Shere Khan) had a rawhide backing and blew all to hell and into many pieces. No backing will save a bow that is going to fail. They are only insurance.

I guess except sinew that is.  Yea I remember that.  Man, I hope that doesn't happen with the wifes bow.  Couch is uncomfortable.
Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:42 pm »
Find her a straight, clean stave and then back it. Make it as tall as she is. Should be fine but there are no guarantees. The only wood I've used rawhide on is yew. Osage is usually unbacked. Boards get silk or burlap or nothing. Linen is good too. Don't discount boards as viable choices just be sure the grain is straight. Jawge
Set Happens!

bowkee

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:59:42 pm »
I agree with Gordon and George, to bad a tire patch kit wont work for violations :) ;D

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:57:25 am »
Pat I agree that rawhide backing won't guarentee that a bow won't explode, but it should help. I've experienced two failures using rawhide and in both cases I heard a crack before the limbs completely failed and was able to safely unbrace the bows. I'm fairly certain that without backing the failures would have been instantaneous and violent.
Gordon

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:41 am »
Find her a straight, clean stave and then back it. Make it as tall as she is. Should be fine but there are no guarantees. The only wood I've used rawhide on is yew. Osage is usually unbacked. Boards get silk or burlap or nothing. Linen is good too. Don't discount boards as viable choices just be sure the grain is straight. Jawge

Its already done.  I ain't making another one for her as she won't shoot it much.  But hey its the thought.  

I myself am very happy backing it with rawhide.  It just makes a little more insurance for marriable bliss. Can't see it hurting anything except maybe a 3fps.
Westminster, MD