Author Topic: Hickory D/R Bow  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Wolgen

Hickory D/R Bow
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:38 pm »
Another bow posted for interest's sake only. Figgered I'd share. Hickory-backed Hickory, mild d/r, 68" ntn, pyramid. 50#@28".
Water buffalo horn on the tips, doe skin wrap from a deer my Dad shot when I was 14.
Started it this past winter and finished the tiller with some pics emailed to Marc StLouis during the process. Gave me peace of mind staying on-track.
Thanks Marc!!!
Got busy, set it aside, finally put the finish and wrap on it. Went with a floppy rest for the first time and now know why so many like it.
Maybe a full-draw pic tomorrow?

Offline bryan irwin

Re: Hickory D/R Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:13 pm »
looks good
bryan irwin

Offline Wolgen

A few "baby" pics...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:09 pm »
A few "baby pics" before she got all growed up...

A lam of black locust in the riser, later added one to the handle thickness before wrapping.
Good ol' TBIII for everything on this job.

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »
Have since gotten rid of the pink lamp...  :-\

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »
Beautiful bow.  Anyone else worried about the grain?  I always thought the board had to be quartersawn or rift sawn and have the grain running straight throughout the entire length of the bow.  This bow looks flat sawn and the grain is seriously violated and (from everything I've read) could blow anytime.  Maybe I'm wrong about that...  You sure made a nice bow though.  I'm not a putting anyone down, just curious.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:47:13 pm by Rain Man »

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01:10 am »
Man, thats a sharp bow.
Westminster, MD

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:39 am »
Very nice bow! (And for future reference say that the lamp was "coral" instead of pink...you'll feel better in the end)

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:19:17 am »
I really like this bow.  Nice Job!
Nate Danforth

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:50 am »
From what I've read and seen hickory can take quite a bit of grain violation.

I have hickory board with some grain run off...its only roughed out pyramid...I have yet to glue on a handle...I'm kinda nervous about the grain.  But I'm still a noobie...I'm still trusting myself drawing back a red oak self bow.   A backing gives some peace of mind though.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:44 am »
Good job on that one-looks like it should be a sweet shooter. I've seen quite a few hickory backings cut through the grain like that, and while it's not ideal, they usually hold up fine.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:31:03 am »
Funny thing is, my first edge-grain backing came from a major supplier and broke. This is the second with my own flat sawn backing and both have been drawn several hundred times already :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:46:53 am »
Very nicely done. Beautiful tiller. I've never made a wood backed bow but the grain gives me pause at least it would on a selfbow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:48 am »
The grain is dandy on the stave.
The so-called "runoff" is on the backing, but mainly at the one tip, where there is little stress. It doesn't "run off" THROUGH, either. Think of it more as a "bubble" than runoff.
I'm not worried. Guess I shouldn't have bothered posting. Live and learn...

And this is a great example why I don't comment on selfbows, either. I haven't made one, but I really want to soon. I like the look and logic of those the most. So I lurk or compliment on selfies. I'm not completely ignorant on what goes into them, gobbling all the info. I can. But not my place to jump into the mix with the experienced guys and parrot the others.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:48:39 pm by Wolgen »

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »
Because other's have voiced reservations of using grain like that is no reason to be upset.  Be proud that you weren't and made a fine bow from wood others would have discarded. 
Nate Danforth

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:45 pm »
No need to be so touchy-that's a good looking bow and obviously isn't broken. I expect and want feedback when I post, it's how I've learned most of what little I know about bowmaking-that's one of the main reasons I post bows is to get feedback. I'd like to see more pics of your bows myself.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.