Author Topic: New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg  (Read 17363 times)

Offline dmassphoto

New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:04:54 pm »
Interesting story...

wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=12618340

Looks like Moonshine is now legal and for sale in East Tennessee.  This place in Gatlinburg is selling it out of Mason jars and trying to keep prices low, like the original moonshiners.  What do you all think about this?  Who wants to bet this will be very popular amongst the tourists and blue bloods from Knoxville?

Offline mrkinsey

Re: New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:32:45 pm »
It's not real 'shine cause Uncle Sam is going to get his pockets stuffed from tax revenue.  I'll keep buying my 'shine from real 'shiners.

There is always Hope.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:03 pm »
It's not real 'shine cause Uncle Sam is going to get his pockets stuffed from tax revenue.  I'll keep buying my 'shine from real 'shiners.

I was thinking the same thing  :D  I'd say most people who've had moonshine will continue getting it the way they've been getting it.

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:10:12 am »
This is good news to me. My family has a history in the illegal liquor biz. My grandfather’s older brother used to drive the back roads of Indiana back during the depression avoiding the law, and their father was a speakeasy musician in Indianapolis. My grandfather recalled hanging out in the bars while his dad played gigs. I’ve never of course found out if the kids from his other family went to work with him. :)

Absinth was recently made legal, too. First thing I did when that happened was go out to buy a bottle. I didn’t “see the green fairy,” but the wormwood did affect me. In a good way.

BTW, can someone describe moonshine? How does it taste? Does it make a good mixer? Or is it best served neat?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:45:02 am »
Dane- depends on the quality ;) I've had some in East TN that had no bite at all...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:22:41 pm »
King  Ron knows where the Good Stuff is in Tennessee...that stuff is as Smooth as Makers Mark.....but Then I had some Peach Cobbler Shine....that took the hair off my ............

upper lip....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:11:13 pm »
   I used to make my own for personnal use, not much taste. I mixed it with other things. The hotter you cook off the alcohol the weaker it is. If you cook it off about 170 degrees it is almost pure alcohol. If you boil it off as I did it is around 160 proof I imagine. Hot enough to use in my camp stove. I was a wine maker and just boiled the good stuff off of wine that didn't come out good. I would aslo use it to raise the alcohol level of wine to where I wanted it. My mom made brandy from it. Lots of uses. The only way I drank it straight was to poor a shot and then dip my finger in it and suck it off my finger as I watched TV, More like just absorbing it through your mouth than actually swallowing. Steve

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »
Hey Mike there was a lot of people in that peachy stuff the first batch was really good until the peaches got washed out. Wonder how many times it was refilled on those peaches.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »
BTW, can someone describe moonshine? How does it taste? Does it make a good mixer? Or is it best served neat?
Dane

Like others said, it depends on how it's made and one's tolerance level.  A lot of people like the peachy stuff.  Some of it tastes like gas.  I've got a small bottle that I sniff every now and then to clear my sinuses.   :o

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:44:26 pm »
Wasn't really talking about the Liquid...more of the nasty peaches that we all ate after about the third time that Jar was filled...... :-[ :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:41:54 pm »
LOL I had a peach!   :)   Don't really remember what they tasted like though... I had alot to drink that night I believe.  ;)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:35:00 pm »
I agree the best part of shine is getting one over on the "man" 
Dane-  I bought a bottle of Absinthe in NH.  It was the most expensive hangover in a looooong time.  No green fairy, just a green faced me. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:09 am »

My Dad did a little shine, and import whiskey smuggling when he was younger.  He had a Harley, and would stuff his saddle bags, and a duffel with straw, and bottles, of imported whiskey, from the runners, at the beach, and deliver them.  He also had an old dodge he would load up now and then.  He has made a batch now and then.  I have had some from Pine mountain Ga., which was not the best, but not too bad, some from elsewhere, and some from a farm in well a state, near Ga. and was owned by a famous race car driver.  Now that was the best hands down!  Very smooth, but it would set you free, if you were not careful, and got to easy with it.  It would knock your....in the dirt.  But it actually had a good flavor to it, and well over a hundred proof.  Like I said it would not take long to find out if you had more than you should have at one time.  I wish I could get some more, but the guy, I got it from, said the guy who worked for him used to get it from his uncle, who was very sick, the last I heard.  So I have not gotten any more, and may not get any more.  I sure wish I had not given the rest of the jar to my neighbor, who is a lightweight drinker in the first place.  But like it was said, it depended on where, and how it was made, and what it was made in!  Used to pour a little in glass, and light it, and if it had a green flame, just dump the whole mess! :P  If it had a blue flame, ......bottoms up. ;D  Personally, I prefer to just drink it straight up, if it is well made.  You can mix it with just about anything you want.  It's just corn alcohol.  Same as gov. approved whiskey.  Except gov. approved is aged a bit more...... ;) You used to be able to by grain alcohol in the liqueur stores. My Dad used to use hard maple charcoal sticks, to filter the shine with.  I had a cousin who got busted for hauling moonshine.  He had a molasses truck, with a fifty gallon tank in the middle of it, and a secret spout.  Well someone talked, and he got caught.  But good for Tennessee.  When the revolution comes...... ::)  There should be a lot of it around.  Just be careful where it comes from, and how it was made, and in what type of container.  I've always thought about trying absinthe, but was just a little leary, since it, like Napoleon Brandy should actually be labeled a poison.  I was listening to the radio a while back, and they had a story on Absinthe, and the different manufactures, and who actually followed the old formula, etc.  So what does it taste like?
                                                                                    Wayne

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:57:33 am »
Wayne....Absynthe is a bitter taste all it's own...but mainly You can taste Anice....like Black Licorice.....I think it is best when you do it like the French used to drink it....take a Shot or Two and put it in a Glass...then take an Absythe Spoon.... I just use one of my Wifes slotted Silverware Spoons....and you put a Sugar Cube on it...then slowly pour about six shots of cold water over the Sugar Cube...the Sugar melting into the Absynthe will make it cloud the Water up and make it look all Green and Foamy...this also brings out the Flavors of the Spices in the Absynthe too...or you can do it by pouring the Absynthe into a Glass...Soak the Sugar Cube in Absynthe....the put the Sugar Cube in the Spoon and set it on fire....let it melt into the Absynthe...then dip the Spoon into the absynthe ...add 4-5 shots of cold water to put out the Flame...and mix it all together to blend the Flavors....or Ya can just tip the Bottle and be a Man...and bear it.... ;D

And Wayne...whats wrong with Napoleon Brandy...it's just Cognac....and who don't like double fermented Grapes..... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:36 am »

I like it.  I have drank a lot of Cognac in Italy.  Just not the best in chemical health.   ;)
     I will have to try the Absinthe.  If I see visions, I will let you know....... ::)

Wayne