Author Topic: New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg  (Read 17322 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: New 'Shine Distillery in Gatlinburg
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 05:20:24 pm »

I don't know how many of you have seen the History channel's show on Moon shine, or not, but it featured a Man in North Carolina, called Pop Corn Sutton, who was a convicted Moonshiner.  Well he passed away, the first of this year, Jan 13th .  That is a man I would have loved to talk to ! ;)
                                                                                   Wayne

I've lived just a few miles down the road from him most of my life and knew him personally. He was a pretty good old guy, but definitely a bit different. 
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »
Hillybilly, Wayne, thanks for the info. It sounds like fine stuff if well made. Single malts are amazing things. When our friends have children, we get the kids a bottle of a good brand, not to be opened until they are 21. Lucky kids, you ask me.

Reminds me, I dated a women who had really creative ways to use single malts, but I can't say here what they were.

While not a heavy drinker, I do like to drink. You would swear we were alchoholics though if you came by the house. Tons of bar books, too. One of the earliest books I recall my dad had was a vintage Trader Vic's bartender manual from the 40s or 50s. Another book I like features those weird atomic cocktails that were the rage in the 50s and 60s. My latest bar book is called Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. The Aviation is one that is really good:

2.5 oz. gin, 3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice, and 2 dashes marachino liqueur. Shake, strain into glass, and garnish with lemon twist.

The Corpse Reviver #2 is worth the price of the book alone, and the Leatherneck Cocktail you'd like, Wayne, as it uses Crown Royal whisky, along with blue curacao and fresh lime juice. Another drink in this book, East India Cocktail, dates back to Victorian England.

Greatest drink of all in the cocktail world is the margarita. Always, always use cointreau, never, never triple sec. One of the staff of a fantastic Mexican restaruant in LA, La Golondrina (the carne asada they prepare here is heaven on earth, and I think the chef would commit suicide rather than not serve fresh pico de galo), on Olvera Street,  gave me his recipe, and advised that you can't even find triple sec in Mexico. And it does make a difference. ALWAYS use fresh lime juice, not the mix you find in the supermarket, and never drink the frozen variety.

But, there are many pleasures from just tequila neat. Reposado is what you want to look for, and is very, very nice. Never cheap out on the trequila you buy. Life is too short for the lousy stuff.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 07:43:57 pm »
Tequila always made me wake up in strange places with fresh knife wounds and unique looking women......................
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 07:58:47 pm »
I heard Popcorn took his own life after the state took his last six acres.  Any truth to that?
There is always Hope.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 08:08:41 pm »
                                                        Unique Women....yeah....I bet......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

Yeah, Popcorn, committed suicide, rather than go to prison, for his last conviction of selling moonshine.  Sad that the government has to be such a$$holes about something like this.
Hillbilly, I would love to have met him, and be able to sit and talk to him.  Yeah, I would imagine, he was a bit different, but then you have to take into account, his life growing up, and lifestyle up to his death.  But definitely someone I would have wanted to know.

Wayne

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 10:45:55 pm »
Tequila always made me wake up in strange places with fresh knife wounds and unique looking women......................
;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 11:09:34 pm »
Mmmm....I get that reaction from tequila an awful lot. Wimps. :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Grunt

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 11:44:11 pm »
Now if you want some homemade liquor that will hold a bead go to Wilkes County NC.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 02:16:46 am »

Grunt that wouldn't be anywhere near a certain race car drivers farm would it? ::)

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 08:51:39 am »
Stickbender, Wilkes Co was out of white liquor for two months last year. Seems like the runners was stashing the dew in a old broke down house way back in the piney woods. If you wanted some you would go and help yourself and put the $ in a mason jar. When my blacksmith friend arrived to load up there was a crime scene tape all around the house .My friend backed out and hit the ground running. The word got out and everyone stayed away and Wilkes was dry for a spell. It was all for nought though. It seems like the sheriff was notified that there was a place back in the woods that was on the tax roles and the tax hadn't been paid in several years. The sheriff went out, put a tape around the house and never went inside. All that shine went sitting there untouched for two months till someone got brave and went inside the house.   

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 11:31:45 am »
Popcorn was sick (terminally ill) at the time, too. He had moved to eastern TN, and was about to go to prison for a moonshining conviction. He didn't want to die in jail. It wasn't exactly too smart of him to make a video of himself making likker and posting it on the internet and selling it. He more or less convicted himself, really. I always liked ol' Popcorn, but like I said, he was out there. He used to have a couple of signs in his yard made from sheets of plywood painted white with big red painted letters. One of them said "Anybody tresspassing will get there dam ass blowed off by a 12 ga. shotgun" and one said "This property is protected by a pitt bulldog that has the AIDS."

When I was a young kid, our next-door neighbor was a big-time likker maker and bootlegger. Our houses were about a hundred yards apart. He had caches of likker buried and hidden all over the place around there. Once, he had bought one of those hide-a-bed sofas (they were new then, not many people had seen them or knew that they folded out.) He had it filled full of likker. One night, one of his cousins who was a deputy sheriff called and told him that the law was coming to search his place for likker. Jack told his little daughter who was about five, not to say anything about the likker in the couch. The law searched his whole house and didn't find anything. As they were leaving, one of them told Jack's daughter that she was an awful cute little girl and tussled her hair. She said "Daddy don't have any likker hidden inside the couch." She was really proud of herself for helping her dad out. Of course, they immediately searched the couch, found about ten gallons of likker, and hauled him off to jail. I remember once when I was about five or six, I was out in the yard playing. Jack and his wife got drunk and got in a fight. She was chasing him around the yard shooting at him with a stub-nosed pistol-they were going around and around the house, she was shooting and he was running, cussing, and screaming. I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen until mom came out and dragged me into the house by the scruff of the neck before I got hit by one of the stray bullets that were zinging around everywhere. I wanted to watch the rest of it. ;D

Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »
Steve, you lived a privileged childhood!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »
Steve, you lived a privileged childhood!  ;D

;D  ;D  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline cracker

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 04:29:37 pm »
Steve that sounds like my wife's family thay all got in a fist fight at the thanksgiving table all of em.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?