Author Topic: Aborigonee styled mollegabet....  (Read 7293 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Aborigonee styled mollegabet....
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:17:04 pm »
Well no fooling had nothing better to do but get some of my kids paint out and decided to do something different for once just to see what it would look like.  67'' maple mollegabet 28''@67lbs. its a fine shooter and soon will have a video on youtube of me shooting it...minus the war paint. Im not sure I like the paint job as it is a bit sloppy using crayola water based paint.  I used it so if it didnt turn out I can simply just wipe it clean.  Good thinking eh?  anyway it is night time so I didnt get any real clear pics so I didnt put a full draw yet!  I dont know any suggestions on what a good scheme or should I leave it plain?  I'll keep on keepin on ..surfin the web maybe an idea will spark in my brain before I really finish her off.   I rarely post the bows I make as I generally build them give them away or saw them up because I dont like something about it!  I know Im crazy! Any opinions are welcome on what I should do with this one!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline gothmog

Re: Aborigonee styled mollegabet....
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:34:52 pm »
Very cool.  I like the paint.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:39:20 pm »
Thanks!  Here a few draw pics ...again a bit blurry and it is dark!  I think tomorrow in the sun with some foliage may look a little better!

Russ

Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:44:21 pm »
I don't see a thing wrong with the paint job or tiller. Spray a coat of satin of flat sealer on it and shoot it!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:04:40 am »
The Ertebølle culture, from 7000 years ago,  among whose grave goods the original Møllegabet bow  was found did not do representational art - no animals or trees, only a few crude stick human figures.  But elaborate geometrical designs have been found in their pottery and some wooden artifacts, and your design is certainly in keeping with that ancient tradition.  They'd have used charcoal black or ochre red, but only because they apparently didn't have a good white pigment...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:32 am »
Well thanks I only used white as something different stepping outside the loop so to speak.  I have seen pictures of various Abo cultures who have used white to off white pigments.  I thought about the stick figures using black but wanted to see what it would look like.  I can wipe it clean and try something different . my kids have red green and black. That is why I asked if anyone had a suggestion it wasnt permanent.  I might just leave it clean of any paint I am unsure.  My major flaw is being able to finish my stuff.  Thanks for the input as always I appreciate it.

Russ

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:59:35 am »
The Ertebølle culture, from 7000 years ago,  among whose grave goods the original Møllegabet bow  was found did not do representational art - no animals or trees, only a few crude stick human figures.  ...

I'm always surprised when archeologists say stuff like that. As if any sort of pigment/paint they had would have had a chance to survive more than a week if you dumped the painted object in a swamp.

That is a nice bow AA, maybe next time you want to rawhide back and paint on it with india ink! I love painted bows, ancient, ethnical or modern day no matter...
Frank from Germany...

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:04:31 am »
Cheers I always said the same and Halfeye told me the same just because a certain color or pattern may not be viewed in a book or museum doesnt mean that it wasnt done!  Like u said Medicinewheel the few bows that survived was only a handful from thousands of ancient bows  and perhaps they did use certain color schemes or pigments we dont know Do u? I dont believe any harm was done I like when someone leaves me constructive critisim.  I thought a nice change of pace would be nice.  Also if u read this paint is washable with a wet paper towel it will come right off!  I initially wanted to use straight black and do a tribal looking tatoo patern..u know like an modern day tribal/primitive...if u can understand that..I still can do it but it will take more time.  Thanks!

Russ
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:17:01 am by AncientArcher76 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:26 am »
Cool bow,I like it.. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:46:10 am »
I like it just the way it is, Russ. Say, bring it to the New England primitive meet this weekend so folks can see it in person.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 09:08:30 am »
If I can make it I sure will bring it!  Thanks Dane!

Russ

half eye

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 09:25:39 am »
Very nice, I like it too. I believe from the few Native people I talked to all said the same thing....the decoration is up to the owner of the bow....if you like it then it's GOOD. Damn son, that's a lot of weight also, your a better man than me ;D
Rich

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:35:21 am »
Thanks Rich I took the war paint off it was only an expiriment/ idea and so the saga of not finishing a bow continues...I like stuff plain I suppose!  lol Have a good day!

Russ

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 10:29:55 am »
lLooks like a sweet bow,just love that design with or without the paint,nice handle wrap as well.Hammertime

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 10:33:09 am »
Russ,
  I think the bow looks good with paint. I really doubt that every single person in a primitive tribe did everything exactly the same, even though there were similarities. From what i have read there were variations in different families designs, sort of like a family crest I suppose. So if you like it go for it. Seems like everyone else likes it too.

Steve