Author Topic: Bark quiver?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline KShip85

Bark quiver?
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:16:33 am »
Hey I've got in mind to try and make a bark quiver and have not much idea where to go from here or if I'm even going about it the right way.  Just stripped this hickory bark tonight and it came off mostly in one piece.  Got a few cracks in it that I guess I will try to repair with some glue.  Any help or direction would be awesome.  I went ahead ad wrapped it back around the log and zip tied it to keep it from rolling up on me.  Thanks for looking.

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Inuumarue

Re: Bark quiver?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:24:38 am »
Looks good to me.  I made one a year or two ago out of cedar bark. It did well until someone moved it to the ground... and a waiting husky.. poor quiver.  What I did for it was to let it dry, then lace up all the cracks with some leather lace.  basically drilled holes on either side of the crack then laced across, inside and outside to butt the crack together.  Then I traced and cut out a hardwood plug for one end, glued a couple of layers of leather to the inside of it to pad the arrow tips and glued the plug in.  A bit of rabbit fur around the mouth and some leather straps finished it off.

Adam

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Bark quiver?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am »
That'll work. Another good way to utilize hickory bark is to take the thin bark from a small 2"-3" sapling, cut it into inch-wide strips, and weave a quiver like a basket. You can scrape off some of the outer layer and it will be more flexible. Hickory bark is good stuff, tough and flexible. It makes good lacings and cordage, too. You can take thin strips of the inner bark and use it to sew up the side of you piece of bark you have now.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.