Author Topic: Inserts For Self-nocks??  (Read 11976 times)

Offline Jerry Gowins

Inserts For Self-nocks??
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »
I've been watching the "Fletching Medieval Arrows" DVD and see that they use buffalo horn for the nock inserts. Is that a better way to go than hardwood? If so, does anyone sell the inserts commercially?

Thanks!

Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Inserts For Self-nocks??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:51:35 pm »
I've used horn, hardwood and rawhide for reinforced self nocks, all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Loki

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:21:27 am »

You can buy slabs of Buffalo horn if you fancy cutting your own out or pacs of 'slivers' sold as nock reinforcements but they are always too thick so need some sanding to get to the correct thickness.You can also buy 'rods' of horn for use on 'full' horn nocks.

Durham,England

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:39 am »
Loki,thems cool looking nock inserts
i realy like that last one,way cool
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

half eye

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »
Jerry,
     I make all my "serious" arrows from 3/8" hardwood, they are self knocks also. None have any "reinforcement" and a friend of mine is still shooting some from a new 180# crossbow.....never had one break yet. But if you want the "authentic" look go ahead and use them.....my personal opinion is they are not necessary for any normal hunting bow. Cane, cerdar or spruce might be another story all together.
Rich

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:00:35 pm »
I've been watching the "Fletching Medieval Arrows" DVD
my personal opinion is they are not necessary for any normal hunting bow
If Mr Gowins wants Arrows for hunting I would suggest he research those types,I would hate to hit a Deer with a 1/2" Poplar War arrow with an armour piercing head.I tend to put horn inserts in all the arrows I make but thats just because I like making them and I shoot Longbows,they arent really necessary on anything under 100#.

Loki,thems cool looking nock inserts
i realy like that last one,way cool
Thank you Sailordad,the full horn nocks certainly look nice and they give you an excellent 'pinch' on the string but they are a pig to make  ;D.
Durham,England

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »
Hi Jerry! How are you? Well, I've broke about 3 nocks in lots of wears of shooting. One was a plastic nock, the other was a reinforced nock and the other was an unwrapped self nock. I have never broken a wrapped self nock. But to answer your question I see no advantage for horn over hardwood except for authenticity. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »
Jaap (pronounced Yap) of Yumi archery sells horn nocks as well as blanks for footing the nock end. Very nice fella.
Semper Fi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
Glenn St Charles, in Billets to Bows, talks about using rawhide to reinforce self nocks. I tried it and it was simple, cheap and never had one break. Lots of reinforcements in a dog chew!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jerry Gowins

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:31:24 pm »
Hi George!  I'm doing well, thanks!

Thanks to all who replied!  Sounds like it doesn't matter what I use, as long as I use something.  :)

Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:04:41 pm »
 Loki;

I can see an advantage with the Buffalo horn wedge over a straight horn nock. I've quit using a horn nock by itself. I've had several break on me. Luckly, I haven't lost a bow, but the string slap on the arm really sucked wind.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:43 pm »
hey jerry I've enjoyed your pictures for years !!, and i don't mean to cut in but does the weight of the horn nock have any adverse effects on flight ?

Offline Muina

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 10:00:47 am »
I haven't built any arrows in a while, but I usedto use horn for the inserts. They work brilliantly, and I never saw any affect on the arrow flight.

As for commercially produced inserts, I got some from ebay really cheap a couple of years ago but I don't know if they're still on there. Also try Richard Head Longbows and I think Flybow sell them?

Anthony

Offline mox1968

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »
was wondering how do you cut the horn when making slivers for nocks,bandsaw,hacksaw????

Offline Jerry Gowins

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 12:23:32 am »
Thanks Ken!