Author Topic: Goose Feather Haul  (Read 3286 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Goose Feather Haul
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:37:54 am »
Took the dawg to the park today, where we proceeded to annoy the heck out of each other with our conflicting agendas.  But in the space of 45 minutes or so, I doubled my inventory of moulted goose feathers, mostly primaries this time.  So I sorted them out and bundled them together, and left them out to dry since some are damp.  Then I heard a suspicious noise...  Rotten dog unsorted them on me.  Here's what I got today, I'm feeling satisfied I have enough not to worry about running out anytime soon.

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline samuraiwarrior

Re: Goose Feather Haul
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:23:09 am »
Looks good! I've been taking my brothers out to the local lakes and parks to collect feathers. Perfect way to get awesome fletching material. I've been thinking about splicing some goose and wild turkey feathers together to see how they come out.
Hope to see what kind of arrows you make with these though.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
Zen, the molt is just picking up here....I got a couple dozen primaries today, but expect alot more this coming week or so.
Cheap is good :)...free is evn better! ;D

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:28:23 am »
What's cool is how easy it is to get them.  It seems like a goose just decides "it's time", and proceeds to yank all its feathers out in one go.  They sure seem to occur in dense patches, anyways.  It doesn't hurt that people feed them, and always in the same places.  I probably have lots and then some, but being a borderline hoarder, I'm sure I'll be out there again, bent over and cursing the dog for yanking the leash while I'm trying to collect fletch.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:36 am »
Nice haul. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:01 am »
Nice batch of feathers. There's a small lake near here where I pick them up if I can beat the lawn mowers to them. It sucks to pull up in the afternoon and see chopped-up pieces of a few hundred primaries scattered all over the grass.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:49:36 pm »

Nice haul Zenmonkey;  Yeah, the dog probably thinks you're one of the most obstinate humans he has ever known.  He's got his priorities, like chasing geese, and you have yours like picking up primaries.  He is thinking if you just let off of this leash, I can get you fressh Priamaries, Plus a goose, for all of us! ;)  He is only interested in them, when you get home, and he is bored, and then smells the feathers, and is reminded of the fun of jerking you all around, and then decides to taste them, but only after you have them all sorted, and neatly stacked. ;D  To the dog, a neat pile of anything is like a wet paint sign, to humans, you just gotta touch it to see it it is dry, or wet...... ::)  Now all you have to do is find a nice clump of Japanese arrow bamboo, or a tonking patch. ;)

Wayne

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:02:20 pm »
Thanks guys!  Sadly there is no bamboo of any kind growing this far north.  :-[  It's tomato stakes for me, at least until I put in a greenhouse.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:24 pm »
If you put the feathers in the freezer for a couple of days to a week or so, it will kill any mites that may be on the feathers.  Bill

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »
If you put the feathers in the freezer for a couple of days to a week or so, it will kill any mites that may be on the feathers.  Bill

Yup, that's what I do.....I've been collecting off and on for a few days. This weekend should be good! :D

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:27 pm »
I stopped by one of my favorite places to collect feathers and I'll be doggoned if they didn't cut the grass.  Oh well, I have othe places and the molt is about over down here anyway.  Bill