Author Topic: Laminated bow  (Read 9988 times)

Offline jturner

Laminated bow
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:05:58 am »
I have lots of white ash planks about 3/4 " thikck by 20" wide. I also have black walnut of the same size. I was wondering if any one has tried these two together? If so should I use ash back and belly and walnut core or the other way around?  I ripped some 2" wide / about 20 inches long, planed them down to about 1/4 thick and glued them together ash/walnut/ ash. just as test pieces and it seemed like it would be a good combo for a heavy bow.

Jake
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Agbowyer

Re: Laminated bow
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:30:34 pm »
I have never worked with that combination so this is just an educates guess. The walnut is very similar to hickory so I would use it for the back. it should be stronger in tension than ash.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:40:48 pm »
I am hoping others give there opinion here but....I always heard that walnut was not very strong in tension and needed to be backed so I would think that sandwiching it between the two ash laminations would be the best bet.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:53:54 pm »
Or just backing the walnut with a good strip of ash should make a good bow. Walnut is as good or better than ash as a belly wood. Seems like Marc has talked of backing several of the less compression-strong woods with white ash, with good results.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:18:43 pm »
I'm with hillbilly........... ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline jturner

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:46:21 pm »
Thanks guys  I was away from the computer a few days. I have made a few self bows of the ash but they have always had too much string follow and slow cast so I thought that a laminated bow may be better.
                                     jake
Jake Turner     Michigan