Author Topic: slingshot  (Read 8028 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

slingshot
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:30:31 pm »
hey has one got a picture of a good slingshot that could be used for hunting? and has any killed anything with a sling shot i have heard it being done but never seen it.

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: slingshot
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:12 pm »
Any slingshot can be used for hunting.  Rabbits don't take much of a knock on the top of the noggin and it's lights out.  My dad used to get ruffed grouse quite frequently as a kid; I had to try myself and managed it twice.   Anything with surgical tubing and a wrist brace is killer, but they aren't the most accurate contraptions in the world.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:11 pm »
hey has one got a picture of a good slingshot that could be used for hunting? and has any killed anything with a sling shot i have heard it being done but never seen it.

And I beg to differ on the Accuracy of a Sling Shot..... >:D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:56:28 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:57:48 pm »
Zen- I have to disagree. They are as accurate as any other weapon when practiced. I've seen some amazing videos of how accurate they can be. Ill search and post it...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:19 pm »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:18:07 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:16 pm »
OK, but if you have to sell your soul to the devil, it doesn't count!  ;D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:15:15 am »
A sling shot can be as accurate as a bow if you practice enough. When I was a kid we could buy little wire frame sling shots with rubber bands. That and a pack of BB's reeked havoc and killed many squirrels and birds. The sling shot cost a dime and cellophane pack of 500 BB's were five cents.
 I know guys now that make their own and are pretty darn accurate with them shooting .40cal lead balls.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:51:16 am »
A sling shot can be as accurate as a bow if you practice enough. When I was a kid we could buy little wire frame sling shots with rubber bands. That and a pack of BB's reeked havoc and killed many squirrels and birds. The sling shot cost a dime and cellophane pack of 500 BB's were five cents.
 I know guys now that make their own and are pretty darn accurate with them shooting .40cal lead balls.

Pat your showing your age
even i paid more than that for mine ;)
not much,but still it was more  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:30:05 pm »
Tim, stuff was cheap in the 50 and early 60s. We used to pay $.25 a gallon for gas back then.  ;D  You could drive all weekend on $2.00!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »
 Pat, you are showing your age, I couldn't touch the pedals in Dad's car in the 50's. I shot the same slingshots as Pat, though, and Cokes were a nichel with 2 cents deposit. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:06 pm »
Yeah....gas was .34 a gallon...Smokes were .49 a pack...and the ones in the Vending Machines had a Penny in the cellophane pack....because the Machines didn't give change....now thats telling my age too.... :P
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:31:17 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:38 pm »
I never bought a slingshot in my life. We used to cut a forked ash branch that we could shape then bake it in the oven to harden it. We used 1/2" wide rubber bands and the shoe from an old shoe and tied them to the stick with string. It takes a lot less practice than a bow to be proficient. I killed lots of birds and small animals with it using marble sized rocks as ammo. I even killed a Canadian goose at the golf course with one.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 04:05:02 pm »
here is one i made from european buckthorn, yes that buckthorn, that aweful noxious stuff, but it is a beatuiful wood, might as well utilize it.

Daisy (as in bb guns) sells slingshot bands, in order of weakest to strongest they are: red, cream, yellow, blue, black. I haven't seen black ones for sale but have seen a slingshot with them, I could hardly pull it back. for hunting, the yellow bands are the way to go i think.

A friend of mine is a slingshot guru, he even pours his own lead shot for ammo and hunts rabbits with them (successfully) all the time. we put a lead ball through a chrono with a "blue banded" slingshot and it registered a bit under 200 fps.

45# at 27"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 04:07:04 pm »
to answer your questions, yes they can be used for hunting small game, rabbits are pretty easy to kill, especially with a lead ball. squirrels are a bit tougher (smaller heads  ;D)

lead balls are better than the steel balls (in my opinion).
45# at 27"