Author Topic: Any Mechanics want to lend a hand?  (Read 17503 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Any Mechanics want to lend a hand?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »
I'm not a mechanic at all, but I had a GMC van that always had EGR problems.  They came out with a gasket/filter for it.  Once I had that installed I never had an EGR problem again.  It was pretty cheap too.  Something to think about if it is the EGR.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NTD

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 07:57:26 pm »
Hmm not sure how I am going to pull vacuum on it?  That's saying I can find it.  I found a picture of the part and what I am looking at is not the EGR....
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 08:17:40 pm »
Nate ...the EGR on a 3800 V6 is  behind the throttle body...it looks like a motor facing downward toward the exhaust manifold..... it connects the tube from the exhaust to the lower intake.....it will look like one of these...

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »

This should be where the EGR Valve is located on the 3800....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:28:04 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 08:34:14 pm »
Yep that's where I was looking and what I thought it was.  Problem is I can't find a hose on it and even if I did no way to put vacumm on it.  I'm downloading a video right now to show ya what I mean about the hose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQUX006kfE
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:01:09 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 09:21:49 pm »
Oh and thank you Scott!  If I can get a check on the EGR I will check on that next. 

As far as the dying, well it has changed a bit.  It will stall sometimes at about 25-30, but it stalls a little differently than before.  It will cut off but not stall completely...hard to explain...I will try to give it gas and it just won't go, or rev, and then after a few seconds it will completely die, with all the lights coming on etc.  Again this is an intermittent problem, not everytime.  Stalls much more frequently at decel just before or at stopping.

EDIT

just want to clarify a few points on this post.  When I said all the lights coming on I mean the dash lights.  And it has probably only done the new type of stall 3 or 4 times.

Aero, When I pulled the hose off and saw how dirty the plate was I really though you had nailed it, but unfortunately not.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:38:13 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline aero86

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 10:29:15 pm »
wow, this one is just throwing shots out in the dark.  one of us needs to go out there and take a look at it!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 01:24:14 am »
ok the type of egr it has,its and electroniv egr valve.no vacuum on that one i believe
they are a known problem on them motors
however if it is stalling at cruise speeds then i would be leanint alooking at the crank shaft postion sensor next
taht is also a known problem .but so is the coil pack along with the ignition module or any combo there of
so now knowing about the stall at cruise this is where i would go
as far as testing goes,yu will pretty much need to get tat info from a service manual
as these parts resistance readings change as theier temp change,therfore their ohms will vary over a wide range
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 01:31:56 pm »

Other than low idle speed, what about timing?

Wayne

Offline Badger

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »
Ntd, it is not the plate itself that you have to clean but the area on the housing where the plate makes contact when it is closed as in the idle position, a thin film of dirt changes the size of the gap between the plate and the housing causing rough idle and stalling. Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:55 pm »
 This may sound off the wall but, I had a Jeep once that kept doing that and drove me nuts. It turned out the battery and alternater was bad and couldn't hold enough charge when the AC was running unless I was driving fast. Every time I would slow down it would stall out. Shortly after I got the alternater and battery replaced the AC compressor locked up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 02:17:48 am »
Ok folks...New developments.  Started the car today to let the AC run a bit before I took Mackenzie out.  When I was walking to the car it stalled.  I tried starting it back up and...yeah wouldn't start.  Turns over but wouldn't start.  Would an EGR failure or the Crankshaft position sensor cause it to not start?  I hoping having a total failure now may make this easy to diagnose...
Nate Danforth

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 02:36:57 am »

A loose distributor?  Hey, on Sat. mornings on NPR at 10:00 am, at least here it is......they have Click and Clack the Tappit brothers.....actually tommy, and Ray Mazzioli, or however it is spelled.  Anyway, they are auto engineers, and they have a radio show called car talk, and people send in their car problems, and then they call them, and talk them through the problem, or tell them what they believe the problem to be.  Most of the time they are right on the money.  They are actually pretty funny too. ;)  They have a column in the newspaper also.  You should be able to google them, at cartalk.com   .

Wayne

Offline NTD

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 02:48:53 am »
I do know that it isn't fuel.  Just replaced the fuel filter, today.  And the fuel pump is working.
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 09:00:55 pm »
yup like my last post said, crank senor and or cam sensor/ign module
but im leaning towards the crank sensor
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd