Author Topic: Stinkin' bait stealin', frog eatin' turtles!  (Read 5908 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Stinkin' bait stealin', frog eatin' turtles!
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:03 am »
I took my boy fishing yesterday evening. He caught several nice catfish and I hung into this big 'ol feller.
 The farmer didn't want him in his pond, so I took him home.  My Bassett hound (Elmer) didn't know what to make of it. I kept hoping he wouldn't stick his nose too close to them snappin jaws. That could hurt!
 My boy said he wanted to eat it, so I reckon we'll have him for supper in a night or two. Should be good  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Stinkin' bait stealin', frog eatin' turtles!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:45 am »
  Yummy! ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:50 am »
I bet that was good! I've never had turtle, but I always did think it would be tasty. How do ya go about butchering one?

CP

Offline BearG

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:10:23 am »
Thats a good one Shannon.  What did the boy think about the taste.  I personally don't care for it.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »
I'll be curious how it tastes for you.  As a kid, we always put snappers in a stock tank for a week with clean water before killing and butchering them.  The grandparents said it would get rid of the muddy taste.  I've always wondered if that was an old wives tale, but I cleaned one the day I caught it a few years back and it wasn't good at all.  They're a mess to clean too, not sure I'll do it again.  Interesting how the neck meat is white and the legs dark.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »
 I like them but I prefer Soft shell turtles over the snappers.  The soft shells sell for around $8 a pound at the fish markets down here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:08:57 pm »
  Good  eatin!!   freeze  that  shell  till  traping  season!!!   coon  can't  resist  it     just  burry  a  trap  under  it    dont  forget  to  wire  the  shell to  a  stake, to  use  again  JW

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:23:14 pm »
Well, don't look too appetizin but how was it ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
Gstoneberg, you're right...cleaning one is a chore.
 We haven't ate him yet, but I've eaten LOTS of them. My grandpa used to keep up to 75 or so in stock tanks when I was younger.  We'd all light in and clean them in a day. :o  Ever see a wash tub full of turtle meat ;D
  My Daddy always fried 'em low and slow and they were real good.  I went all out on this one. I took every muscle apart and cleaned all the sinew and fat off it.  I'll let it soak in salt water for a few days and fry it up. It'll be good ;)

BTW, it DON'T taste like chicken...It tastes like turtle :D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:23 am »
 :) :) Let me know how it is,the last I had years ago was fine. My pond is full of them,no fish just
turtles.I seen a guy skin the neck on a big one like that and used it for a bow grip. That was cool. :)  He just wet it and pulled it over the handle ,when it dried it was tight,no stitching.    :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:21 am »
When i was a kid we caught a big softshell, and dad thought he would clean it, even though he has never done it.
Some old timers told him to cut a slot it in near its back leg and stick a water hose in it. They also said he could do the same with a air nozzle. So what does dad do? He tries both. First the water hose, it didn't do the job. Then he used the air nozzle. It stretched the turtle's neck out about 18". Dad then grabbed his axe. ( DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHOP A TURTLE'S HEAD OFF IF IT IS UNDER AIR PRESSURE!!)
 I can still remember dads white shirt ,glasses,hat, the barn walls, and myself covered in red slime!!   :)
My brother didn't fair so well , because he was standing right behind the turtle. Everything the turtle ate for lunch the day before hit him in the chest!   :)
To this day he will not eat turtle....
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »
I have cleaned and eaten several turtles over the years.
Not yet sure if it was worth the effort. :D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »
To Me ....Snapper aint worth the trouble....too much work...and not enough Meat...all Gut and Stink...rather eat Mussel and Crawfish....than mess with a big Aligator Snapper.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »
YUMM!! I love turtles nice catch! ;)
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 07:58:19 pm »
Turtle stew cook the shell ,after you peel it for the stew bone.What's not to like.
Venice Florida