Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 13279 times)

DBernier

Feathers
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:11:18 pm »
I want to thank LittleJohn (Ken) for the bag full of beautiful black goose feathers he sent me. They will look great on some cane arrows. Thanks Ken.

Dick Bernier

Offline Little John

Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:55:10 pm »
  You are more than welcome Dick. And you are right, they do work great on the cane arrows, especially with the obsidian points. I process them by stripping away the leading edge part of the feather and leaving the whole quill on the trailing edge half. I then use the outer part of the feather with the small end of the quill for the fletch. You then can cut the fletch with a chopper and have very little or no sanding to do. It is so easy, I feel sure that primitive men must have done it this way.  It works much better and faster for  me than splitting the quill. I actually prefer the secondary flight feathers as the quill is thiner and less trouble to deal with.  If I end up with more quill than I want to sand off I reduce it with scissors or you could do it with a sharp obsidian flake.. If you want to be even more primitive you can cut the fletch to length leaving a bit of the quill sticking out on both ends, tie on with sinue then burn to shape with a stick from the camp fire with a glowing ember on the end. I made a set of six arrows while in elk camp one year, I packed in some pre straightened, spined and weight matched bamboo shafts then fletched and mounted trade points then did the final straightening  and went hunting. Got a 20 yard shot at a walking bull and promptly got buck fever and gut shot him, the last thing I saw were the fletches dissapearing into his flank. I never found this elk even after all the next day of searching. Pat found a skull and horns of about the same size bull last yerr about one half mile from where he was wounded, still feel bad about my poor shooting, but would take the shot again in a heatrbeat.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 03:59:09 pm »
Dang Ken, I just got to get out there soon.  ;D

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 12:43:04 am »
Hey Ken, I got my feathers today.  Thanks a lot.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah