Author Topic: Need help making a long bow.  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Tethered Falcon

Need help making a long bow.
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »
im looking to make a d cross section  64-68" long bow with a rigged handle that id like to make as thin as possible.
wood suggestions?
is adding a bamboo backing difficult?
would this design be able to cast an arrow fast enough for hunting?
could really use a hand here because ive never made a bow and would like to produce a hunting weapon by deer season

draw 27"
#50-60

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Need help making a long bow.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »
Bamboo backed Ipe would be my choice for a Sliver Thin Bow ....that will come in at or above Hunting weights...and no...Boo Backing isn't hard at all...but you really need to get you some reference books to read...if you havent got the Money...check with the Local Library and see what they have...you can not read enough about Bow Building in a Lifetime...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tethered Falcon

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:45:39 pm »
ive devoured the 1st and 3rd volumes of the bowyers bible, i am lacking the funds to gather materials at the moment, is Ipe have good durability?

Cacatch

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:38 pm »
Would you really have to have it so thin? If you could go up to say 2" wide, you would open yourself up to a whole variety of woods that could make you a fine hunting weight bow by deer season, and may not even need a backing.

CP

Offline Tethered Falcon

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:13:26 pm »
i guess not, i mean id like to keep at at least an inch and a half and under, guess its not terribly important , just preference. 

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »
I understand. I don't know about your deer season, but ours opens October 1st here in Indiana. So it still gives you some time if you can get ahold of some already seasoned or nearly seasoned wood. Do you have access to any wood? If so, what kinds? Because if you can go up to 1.5" wide, you could probably use some Osage, Hickory, Yew (if you can get it), Elm, and Black Locust, and maybe others.

CP

Offline Tethered Falcon

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:32 pm »
thats my biggest problem, ive called the lumber yards and they have nothing useful and being in the suburbs im unable to find a tree to cut down

Cacatch

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 03:55:10 pm »
I see. Some people make bows out of red oak boards from Home Depot or maybe Lowe's. Sometimes these need to be backed and sometimes they don't, depending on the grain. Where do you live? If you can get to one of the events that are announced on here, you can most likely find someone who is looking to sell or trade some good Osage and/or other woods.

Or, if you have something to trade, you might be able to put it up on the trading post here and ask for bow wood in exchange. A lot of guys on here are good to trade with and we can all relate to "starting out" and having to procure resources wherever we found them.

CP

Offline Tethered Falcon

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »
im in the St.Charles area of missouri , i dont really have much to trade, maybe a razor bak 5 or two or some golf clubs lol

Cacatch

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »
Well, I think you may be in luck - If I'm not mistaken, MOJAM is in Missouri and there is bound to be bow wood for sale/trade there. Look up MOJAM in events and get to it if you can. I'll bet there will be guys there that will even help you make/lay out your bow and most are not stingy and more than anything would love to help you get started! Good luck!

CP

Offline Tethered Falcon

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 05:05:14 pm »
I looked it up and i just asked off work, Mojam here i come. i guell ill have to scrounge some cash together.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »
There are a bunch of good Bowyers up there in the Hills of Missouri...and they will most likely all be at MoJam
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Cacatch

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 05:21:21 pm »
Heck yeah buddy, get you some of that 'Sage!  If you ask around you can find out who's bringing wood for sale/trade before hand so you know who to look for.

CP

Offline Tethered Falcon

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 05:37:06 pm »
Thanks all, hopefully ill finally get into this stuff