Author Topic: rawhide string ??  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Boots

rawhide string ??
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:14:17 pm »
wondering if anyone has any experience with rawhide bow strings?   thanks 
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: rawhide string ??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:20:06 pm »
I've never made one but I believe squirrel and groundhog rawhide makes the best strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »
 Like Pat said, squirrel makes an excellent, tough string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41:31 am »
I made one out of a dog chew toy.  It does not feel right, thick and slow.
Steve in LV, NV

bowkee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:49:53 am »
I had better luck with Goat hide than cow hide, never got to try squirrel before . Never seen a squirrel around here.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:18:02 pm »
I have made a couple deer rawhide strings. Used a round piece I believe was about the size of a dinner plate. Cut a 1/4 inch or slightly wider from outside edge to center. The rawhide is dried, stretched and stiff to begin with. Dry to cut the circle from an area that has about the same thickness throughout the circle. Once cut place it in water and let it soak long enough to become pliable again, then stretch and work it back to a softness.  I tie one end to something high (garage door track) and place the other end into a variable speed drill, so you can go slow. Pull hide out taunt then begin twisting the rawhide until an even twist is showing the entire length. I then tie a small stick the the loose end and place the stick through a weight lifting weight (weight bar hole in center) and let the weight hold tension on the string as it dries. Fashion the weight so it cannot spin and unwind the twisted rawhide. Once dried take some sandpaper and rub the length to smooth out any bumps. I then take some lard or bears oil and apply to the string. It will still be stiff when dry. You can work the ends some so it can be tied to the bow. I have not yet had one break, but probably lucky so far. I have used on 50-55 lb. bows with good results. The string will be sorta elastic and slow, but it is primitive....Good luck
L.A. Clark
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:07:38 am »
That is about the way I have heard to make one,interesting,may give that a try,I have some squirrel hides. One fox squirrel that is pretty good size. :) I will give that a try when I get time.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Boots

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:14 pm »
hey thanks guys, I got me a couple a squirels . I'll let you know how it goes... thanks again
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:38:27 pm »
I've made a couple, deer and groundhog. The groundhog hide worked better than the deer, but the deer was a pretty good string. A little heavier and stretchier and less durable than modern string materials, but perfectly workable.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.