Author Topic: Copperhead Bow  (Read 42682 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Copperhead Bow
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 08:50:12 pm »
That's one wonderful bow there. I'll bet Pappy conviced you to post it in April instead of March, Right? Because it would have made a worthy competitor to his snakey bow, lol.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 08:57:26 pm »
Man that is a real beauty Greg, love every bit of it.
Justin Blunt

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 09:38:21 pm »
Thanks Justin and Hillbilly, your nice comments mean a lot to me. You're a couple of the guys I was talking about that I've been learning from! Thanks again!

Greg, I'd be pretty damn suspicious of anything you learned from me  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 09:39:49 pm »
well Greg I think I have seen that before and it is just as nice as I remember.I will post the full draw pic. I have in the morning.
I know what you went through on this one and can appreshate the effort.Every bow has it challenges but this had more than
than its share.Job well done.Now lets go shoot something with it. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 11:12:56 pm »
I appreciate the nice comments everyone. ;)

Sean, Pappy's bow is a great looking and performing bow with a lot of character. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded any competition...we're all trying to do our best. I'm sure there will be a lot of great looking bows posted for April as well...too much talent around for there not to be. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:19:16 pm »
Thanks Justin and Hillbilly, your nice comments mean a lot to me. You're a couple of the guys I was talking about that I've been learning from! Thanks again!

Greg, I'd be pretty damn suspicious of anything you learned from me  ;D
Hillbilly must have taught you how to fix it.  Because I'm pretty darn sure I taught you how to crack that sucker to begin with.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

bullcreekboy

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 11:54:38 pm »
Outstanding work Greg. You done that piece of wood justice. The skins look great. Did you find any morels when you were in the woods. They are out thick in southern Missouri right now.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 12:10:07 am »
Greg, You nailed the tiller on this difficult bow. That full draw pic is spot on!!!
   I had an interesting situation a few years ago with a copperhead backed osage bow. Sitting in my tree stand with the bow across my lap, the sun had set and I prepared(I thought) for the last 30 minutes of the day. About that time, the rufus sided towhees and brown thrashers, both ground birds, began their leaf flipping in search for bugs. All of a sudden one of the brown thrashers flew up to a branch near me and then he began dive bombing me. After about 10 minutes of this, I figured that no deer in his right mind would come near where I was so I got down and headed to camp. The next evening I was in the same stand and the same scenario. That damn bird drove me out of the stand again and I headed back to camp one more time...them I realized that the copperhead is the enemy of these ground birds and he was after the snakeskin backed bow, not me.   So watch out when hunting with a bow covered with copperhead skins.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 02:11:22 am »
very nice, great attention to details Greg.

nice pile of osage ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Rich Saffold

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 03:12:41 am »
Greg, Very beautiful bow ..I really like the yellow on the outer limbs as well..Never seen that before,maybe you are the first  ;D Impressive skins too!

Rich

Dustybaer

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 03:56:28 am »
Marius, I havn't applied Badgers mass formula to this bow. I was just striving to get to make a workable bow hopefully with decent weight. The flaws in the wood forced the direction I took with the bow. I would like to learn more about Badgers technique though...

greg, i meant comparing the outcome with the theory.  i did the calculations based on the data you provided and came it came out to 15.5 ounces, plus the weight of the skins, wraps and overlays.  it would be interesting to see where your bow stands, simply because it came out so narrow.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 06:25:44 am »
dang it everyone else has already said what I would have said.
Sometimes the school of hard knocks is the best way to learn and it appears that you have learned much from that
lil bit of Osage. She's a beauty. Keep em comin eh.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 06:58:02 am »
GregB wanted me to post some full draw pictures so here they are. ;D
    Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 08:32:26 am »
Thanks alot for all the great comments everyone! I must put Pappy at the top of that group of bowyers that I've learned from. If I have any tillering abilities at all, I've learned the most of them from Pappy.

Marius, if we can come up with an accurate scale, I'll weigh her.

Rich, nope I'm not the first...guilty of coping PatB's idea.

Thanks alot Manny and Shannon, you guys make beautiful bows, I appreciate your feedback! No Shannon, I've looked a couple of times, and havn't found any yet in an area at the club that usually has them.

PatB, I'll keep that in mind this fall. Never had that problem with rattler backed bows, but maybe the copperhead might be different.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 09:42:38 am »
That came out really nice Greg. I wont lie to you though, I like full length skins better, but I know sometimes you gota work with what you got. Nice Job on a hard stave, good save on the cracks and every thing.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....