Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 9786 times)

Offline Jbell

Need Advice
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:41:56 am »
This is a static curve that I have been working on the last couple weeks. It is made of hard Maple, 62" ntn and has static tips. This evening I got this bow to full draw, which is 26", tiller is lookin pretty good, made several pulls to 26" then took it off the tree and pulled to half draw a couple of times then to full a couple of times. On the last draw I heard tick, after inspection I found a crack in the upper limb  on a knot. I am wondering if I can sinew back and wrap this bow to save it, or am I wasting my time? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:53:26 am »
I'd fill the crack with super glue and put a wrap abpve and below it. You could round the corners a bit first and that would get rid of some of the crack. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 01:03:41 am »
yeah, rounding it up is a good advice

I had good results on real bad knots crack in Ipe, by filling with superglue, than wrap it super tigth with silk cloth and titebond, than I wrap it up with tight artificial sinew
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Jbell

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:58:34 am »
 Yeah I think the sharp edge might of played a role in the crack. Once I got the tips aligned I narrowed the tips and did'nt round the edges in this area. Actually I made a temporary patch like you guys mentioned just to get it unstrung, superglued then wrapped it real tight with art sinew. I will prabably try a permanent patch like this cause I have been saving my sinew for a short osage bow. I will let you ya'll know how it works, if it blows my 7 year old son would love a new selfbow. Thanks.
Justin Blunt

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:36:20 am »
I wonder if a small rawhide patch would help? since you cut through the knot(it looks like that, maybe I'm seeing the pic wrong)it may help hold it together, you could feather the edges around the patch to blend it. I don't know if that would work or not.
VB

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 11:38:05 am »

this is what I was thinking, just a patch the size of where the black line is, wrapped over the back and belly.
VB

Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:33:39 pm »
You'll be real lucky if you can keep it together with a wrap all the way around the limb. Couldn't hurt to try but you gotta get some support for the patch from some good wood next door. Lotsa CYA ( super glue) and a little sawdust might help before you wrap it.
 That is a whopper though, sorry. Hope you can save it.
 Chris

Offline Jbell

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:06:49 pm »
Here is my proposition, super glue with sawdust wrapped real tight with silk saturated in CA, next I'll let that dry and sand a little then sinew wrap. I've got nothin to lose really just a little time, kind of an interesting challenge just seeing what I can do. I learn a little each and every time, that is what It's about to me. Thanks for all your suggestions. Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:49:16 pm »
Let's analyze why the problem was created. I believe what caused the problem was the fact that you cut that knot in half.  You have to let the know swirl by leaving it wider in that area where the crack is. When you tiller a knot you don't want it bending too much. let it appear flat. I'd do a rawhide, sinew or other wrap. You could wrap it with silk fabric and then wrap it with some art. sinew. You could even use a more colorful thread and wrap the other limb in the same spot for decoration. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jbell

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 01:45:19 am »
 I am really pleased so far with my patch, got about 50 shots through it so far. Getting it braced for the first time was pretty scary but so far so good. I'll put another 50 through it, recheck the tiller and finish it up. Once again Thanks for all your help.
Justin Blunt