Author Topic: Cordovan Leather patch  (Read 10521 times)

Offline neotoxo

Cordovan Leather patch
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:05:57 pm »
A couple of years ago I bought a section of Cordovan Leather from a traditional archery dealer but can't recall or find who it was.

The section I bought was REAL Cordovan leather probably 3"x9" or so and I used it to make custom finger tabs for myself and BNL.
I've since change my shooting style from split finger to 3 under and need another section of leather to make some new tabs.

ready made tabs or OK but my split finger Cordovan tabs were the bomb, slick as teflon, protected my fingers and still let me feel the string.

Anyone know who carries it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Cordovan Leather patch
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:02:19 pm »
In the US, most cordovan leather is tanned at Horween leather in Chicago. I get quite a bit from there. PM me- maybe we can work up a trade. If you are wanting full sheets, that will be the best place.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:28:06 pm by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:28:35 pm »
   brettuns village leather

they sometimes have cordovan or a horse leather from the same region of the hide.they are great to deal with and the price on everything includes shipping.

God Bless
Kenneth
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 12:53:15 am by Pat B »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:55:24 am »
Kenneth, I disabled the web address because they are not advertisers on PA. Folks can Google the company name or contact you for more info about this leather company. Looks like they have good stuff!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:49:06 am »
thanks pat. i have read forum rules and would not have put the web address up hter. lol only thing i can think of is it was late and i worked all day!

and yeah they have good stuff from time to time, they have some oddball leathers that is for sure.

God Bless
Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:38:42 pm »
Neotoxo, do you have a pattern for the finger tab that you can post here?   I got some Cordovan leather from Jeff at the Classic and was thinking abut making and trying a tab again. I used a calf skin tab when I shot compounds but gave them up when I got tired of having to climb out of my stand when I dropped it.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline neotoxo

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:05:51 pm »
Here is a Photoshop image of the patterns I have used.  The blue area can be trimmed out for split finger tabs.
For the most part self explanatory but the tabs I make for myself are traced from my three fingers on the back
of the leather. 

Once I trim the width and finger hole/holes for fit I will put the tab on and grab the string as I would when shooting.
While holding the string I will make additional traces along my finger tips and then trim off the excess leather and even
out the outline.

Removing the excess leather makes it look too small at first glance but once you engage the string you will see that you only
the leather required to do the job and not get in the way.

True Cordovan leather is the best I have found for tabs.  With use it softens but doesn't loose it's slickness and if you don't
lose it will last for years.

Good Luck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »
Thanks. I'm gonna make me up a prototype.  ;)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 09:18:30 pm »
Pat,
I still owe you some leather, I'll throw in some cordovan pieces too  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »
 Pat, have you ever tried the "Mitt"? It is a finger tab that ties on around your wrist. You can let go and it doesn't hit the ground.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:06:06 am »
Pat, have you ever tried the "Mitt"? It is a finger tab that ties on around your wrist. You can let go and it doesn't hit the ground.
Lets see some pictures.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:10:34 am »
I moved to a Damascus glove when I started shooting trad and haven't looked back since but I thought I'd give a tab a try again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:55 am »
 Justin, Pat, Three Rivers; Item 4410X. they work great if you like tabs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 01:37:34 am »
Just got a new catalog today. I'll check it out.