Author Topic: 2022 hunting pictures  (Read 22817 times)

ridge

2022 hunting pictures
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:36:15 pm »
 This is  the second bow that Jim has built. He has made a nice selfbow also.  Next project is a glaaaaaaas longbow. Forgive me but if he wants to learn i,ll be the teacher. This bow--- 64"-49#@28"---1/1/8""@ fades--1/2" @ tips. Limbs: raw boo back, Vertical boo mid lam--- walnut stripe--- vertical belly --zebra handle--- tip overs are bubinga,boo, and zebra. This young fella will be making a lot of bows for sure,nother guy hooked!    R

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: New guy boo bow
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:42:05 pm »
Very nice ridge especially for his 2nd.Nice finish work.That away to pass it on.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

ridge

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »
 Forgot to say not finished. No finish or plate,rest or wrap.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 03:09:44 pm »
Tell Jim he has a real nice bow there, love that zebrawood. Glad to see another addict ;D
 :ofiberglass :o tsk,tsk,tsk

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:00:21 pm »
Sweet bow, definitely has a glass bow influence in the riser.  Most of us aren't going that substantial with the riser.  The ends of that riser piece look like they'd be tricky to make.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:06:46 pm »
So, who is Jim so I can set up this fine bow for April Backed Bow of the Month?  This is a boo backed? -what is the belly?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

ridge

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:23 pm »
OLDBOW In case i screwed you up Jim isn,t a member, he is my latest guy in class. I don,t know the rules on if he is able to be a choice for bow of the month.  R

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:28:18 pm »
That is a pretty bow, really nice lines.
VB

ridge

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:09:43 pm »
 Lenny, The riser is easy to make.  I take a riser block say   15" long by 1/3/4" wide to start. If you want of course you can laminate with all kinds of pretty wood,, then cut a long clean arc to the fadeouts. The fades have to be paper thin, so thin you can see light thru them. Then you lay up your lams,back, then mid lam and then you lay on the riser i guess i mean handle (wrong site) sorry. Then you bring the belly lams almost to the top of your handle. No worrys about the handle failing. I,ll take a pic and that may help. Hope i explained how i do mine. This bow is all blk walnut and will be a g bow for a customer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jbell

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »
 Great job showing Jim this awsome adventure we call bow building. That is a great lookin bow, kind of like modern meets primitive, I love it. If I were to build a tri lam , bamboo backed bow, would I run the center lam as well as the belly lam up the handle like that, or just the belly piece? And also why do you not run the wood all the way up to the edge? Thanks! Justin
Justin Blunt

ridge

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:36:13 pm »
 Just the belly lam. If you tryedtwo i think it would be hard to get a good glue line at the fades. On the handle i said real paper thin fades. Super important or you will end up with a small void there.  I use a three inch drum sander in my drill press and a backer board to keep the handle good and straight. As you sand down toward the fade make sure you make the last inch or so so that you don,t have a sudden drop to paper thin as the lam will not go up tight when pressed. A dry run will let you see if its ok. I use an air hose from my other longbow experience. Have fun..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:50:24 pm »
    That is a sweet looking bow.But I'm for sure not an expert but it looks like the lower limb is a little weak;like almost hinging for a R/D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 01:45:20 pm »
On the old forum, one had to be a subscriber to post.  But if Jim wants this bow set up for Bow of the Month (and he should!) , its fine.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 02:11:48 pm »
Beautiful bow, you sure can teach.

J. D. Duff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
2022 hunting pictures
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 05:19:54 pm »
Post your 2022 hunting pics here    (SH)    :-D        (SH) (B)       (SH) :G      (SH) (-_)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC