Author Topic: Coleman canoe repair  (Read 14476 times)

Offline PeteC

Coleman canoe repair
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »
I've had a Coleman 16' scanoe that I bought new in 1980. It's still a good boat,and I use it regularly ,but I have troubles with patches staying put. I've tried the recommended method of heating to treat the "Ram X" plastic to accept Epoxy,but have only had limited success. Have any of you ever found a sure-fire method of fixing leaks in these canoes? Thanks for any input.. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Coleman canoe repair
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:14 pm »
Pete....Coleman canoes are made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE)..... the same stuff that is used for making ice chests and 55-gallon chemical drums....and the Notorious Gallon Milk Jug...These contain an Oily Substance and are almost always next to Impossible to patch....I have patched HDPE once with a Pipe Slodering Iron and pieces of a Milk Jug for the sake of a better word....Welding Rods...I heated the HDPE up tp the point of melting...while pushing the Milk Jug strips against the Hot Iron...and welded the crack up....and it held ...looked like crap...but held water....I hate to say it...but an 80's model Coleman HDPE Canoe...should be pretty UV Damaged by now...your bets bet may be a Metal Patch and rivets....or a new Canoe.......... ;D.......good luck and God bless
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:52:37 am »
lots and lots of duct tape ;D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 01:25:56 am »
Cut a big hole and bolt on a Lexan patch, then enjoy watching the fishes swim by.  ;)
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:59:14 am »
I've used the same tactic as El D it works be careful not to melt through. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:03:54 am »
 Pete, go to a Kayak store. The one near me has a patch kit for the Poly kayaks. You actually weld it in place with a small torch. It has a fibre mesh screen material that helps it to bond.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:27:22 pm »
Thanks for the info fellas. I'll see if I can find one of the patch kits where they sell kayaks Eddie.Thanks again all. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »
 Pete, if you can't find one let me know and I'll see if the store near me does and send it to you.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:04:13 pm »
JB Weld ! They even have a marine version.