Author Topic: finding flint in ohio please help  (Read 10650 times)

Offline viburnum_JOSH

finding flint in ohio please help
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:25:06 pm »
I really need some good advise to locate some material for knapping in ohio. I live in Tuscarawas county Ohio and found some beautiful artifacts. I can't seem to find anything worthy to knapp, I don't want to give up. Can a fellow knapper PLEASE HELP?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:29:28 pm by roseshaft »

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: finding flint in ohio please help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »
flint ridge  ;)
 There is other flint in ohio to. not sure were.
ask the guys on paleoplanet too.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:04 pm »
You have upper mercer.coshocton and of course flint ridge that runs between Newark and Zanesville area.I originally came from Stark Co.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »
There are a few coming out of Ohio best bet lipe Leaping said try Paleo also google Earth and download the geo overlay that helped me tremendous in finding flint here in NY  I see flint in ohio all over but I dont live there,,,

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline viburnum_JOSH

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »
Thank you guys so much, someone told me about making a trip to flintridge and paying a farmer to quarry your own. I dont know if this is true but i'll find out.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »
Its true. The place is called Nathers.
 Its good flint, I've never been there but have been told that Its hard to get out. Your do better with a chisel and a hammer then a shovel.
 I think its like 50 cents a pound or something. Still a Grate deal!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:33:26 am »
Nethers,  owned by Kay Nethers, Roy Miller goes over there to dig and will leave holes open for others to come and collect also.
Steve

Offline viburnum_JOSH

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:54:18 am »
Thats GREAT news!!! Thank you, I will make a trip in 6 days and try the google earth site.I would of been lost without your great information.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »
Cheers and if u get the motherload Id like a small box....

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:14 am »
I live maybe 2 miles from the nethers farm and can show it to you if you need. There is plenty of flint ridge and upper mercer coshocton around here. I am cooking my first batch as we speak out in my council fire. I had a productive day there yesterday mining with Chris Miller
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline viburnum_JOSH

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:48:44 am »
That must be GREAT living so close to such a site. Thanks for offering help I have a map and waiting to get paid for the trip.Do you know how much it cost for 100 pounds? I don't want grade a material because im not that good and don't want to waste it. If I need help finding the site I will try to find you. Good luck on the batch you got, keep those flakes flying!!! Going to be a scorcher today.