Author Topic: tapering bow tips to attach overlays  (Read 3977 times)

Offline ZanderPommo

tapering bow tips to attach overlays
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »
hey guys I've been having trouble recently getting a snakey osage stave to have a flat surface to glue an overlay to. i used my belt grinder then a hand plane but cant get the thing perfectly flat. how do you guys generally cut/sand yours?
thanks in advance for any input!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: tapering bow tips to attach overlays
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »
I just use my belt sander on the tip of the bow to make it flat.. sometimes I have to touch it up with 80 grit sandpaper on a block of wood.  I hold the tip and overlay together up to the light and I adjust till I can't see light through the joint anymore.  Remember to degrease the osage and glue it on.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:37:52 pm »
Sanding block with new 60 grit open coat stapled on. Gives a good surface for epoxy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:47:47 pm »
Ditto....Belt Sander with 60 grit....normally don't have any fitment issues at all....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:57:18 pm »
It's hard!!!! I concur with you. I've done dozens of them and they are always hard to get perfectly flat.  It's a pain in the arse to be perfectly honest.  Just keep sanding and try and sand them level. Hopefully it helps to know you are not alone.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:09:59 pm »
Fitment issues, Michael?  ::)
  I do what the others said. You may need to secure the bow tip firmly so you can concentrate on getting it flat with a sanding block.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Robert

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:34:24 pm »
I just use a 12" bench plane.  It will do the job quickly if you have a good vice setup.  If I wanted the overlay to be 1" long, I would do a couple of strokes starting 1/4" from the tip, on the bow's back going towards the tip, then a couple more starting at 1/2", then 3/4, then finish off with one or two 1" strokes.  That gives the angle to the joint.  I would have the depth of cut set for very thin shavings.  If you made any mistakes or got chattering, you could touch it up with a good flat sanding block.  The easiest mistake is to roll the plane or sanding block side to side as you move it along the bow, and you end up with a convex surface instead of flat surface, or the surface is flat but angled to the side.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:24:39 pm »
Fitment issues, Michael?  ::)

Yes Pat...but only a time or two........... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:17:09 pm »
yes the problem I was having was with getting a convex surface, must have just been having bad luck though, because i gave it another go with the bench grinder yesterday and was able to glue it up successfully. thanks all for your help!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 03:23:13 pm »
I sometimes get a perfect fit but not often. I get the bow surface as flat as I can, hold the overlay wood to it and hold the combination up to a light and look for gaps. I sand the overlay wood on my belt sander but just use the belt while the sander isn't running to remove wood where I need to to get a good fit. Usually my bow surface is a little concave so I have to make the overlay a little convex to fit.