Author Topic: yucca fiber string ??  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Boots

yucca fiber string ??
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »
anyone have any experience making or using bow strings out of yucca  fiber? thanks
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

Offline Archer156

Re: yucca fiber string ??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »
Yes they are very strong and make a good bowstring and you don't have to worry about the weather! You have to strip the fibers out of the leaves of the plant. Read it in the book that Jim Hamm put out about native american bows and arrows! Kenny

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:27:52 pm »
Alan(Woodland Roamer) just posted a great locust woodland style bow with a yucca string. Check it out in the "BOWS" section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:20:24 am »
yucca is very strong and makes a good string. When I'm doing pump test at work which is very boring, I twist them up. The neck knife I made for Pappy is hanging from a yucca string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:32:35 am »
How do you prepare the yucca to make cordage. Do you use it green or do you have to wret(sp) it first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:36 am »
Pat, I use it green. I hold it flat and run it back and forth over the edge of a board or table to loosen it up. Then I pull the threads out like you would with backstrap sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:28:33 am »
I usually do it like Eddie said. If you want really good clean fiber, you can boil it for a little while and every bit of the green gunk will come off and leave just the clean white fiber. Seems to strengthen it a little, too. Yucca fiber isn't as strong as dogbane or milkweed, (at least the variety we have here isn't,) but it makes good cordage.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:00:47 am »
The Yucca Fibers from the Texas Yuccas are so tough that you can litterally take one...and some sand...wet it...add the sand...and saw through a Board with it...the Native Indians here used to use it (if you strip it right you keep the leaf point with the Fibers to make a sewing kit) for sewing Braintan...and other Hides to make clothes...and themselves when injured...so I have read and been told....... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Boots

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:37:24 pm »
thanks  guy's  I have an endless supply around the house. I'll   see what I can do with it..
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 04:45:15 pm »
sounds like I need to do some collecting next time I am in Eastern New Mexico visiting the wifes relatives.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:03 am »
JustinNC, it grows all over NC. We have the mountain variety, Yucca filimentosa (bear grass) and in coastal areas probably what we called Spanish bayonets, with a real sharp point on each leaf tip.
  Alan(woodland roamer) had a yucca string on his latest Eastern Woodland style bow. I got to see it and talk to Alan at the camp-o-rama two weekends ago. He scrapes the yucca leaves green to expose the fibers and prefers a yucca bow string over rawhide or sinew because it isn't affected by moisture like the animal fibers are.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:18:28 am »
I pound the yucca between two small logs, then just scrape the pulp off the fiber. There is a lot more fiber in there than you would think.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:30 am »
The best way to get good clean fiber is to wet pound and scrape it like Justin said, but it's a bit labor-intensive. I have a small deer scapula that I have scraped a lot of it with, works like a charm.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 11:04:50 am »
Pat I used to see it a lot when I did wetland/stream locating. Used to see it around a lot of old home sites....a site out past you in Sylva comes to mind. Now I mostly just see it in yards.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00:13 am »
like said its a great fiber. also makes a great soap. dig up the root smash it , wet and rub between your hands. its loaded with saponins. love to use it when camping. flowers are edible too and delicious. my knowledge is with filimentosa so check variety before using. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct