Author Topic: Hornbeam Bow best dimensions?  (Read 11513 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Hornbeam Bow best dimensions?
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:01:48 pm »

If memory serves me correctly, I've made two hornbeam bows. Both have been given away, so I'm going on memory on the layout. I think one was 66" and 1-1/2" to midlimb on to probably a 1/2" tip. The other I think had 2" width to midlimb to 1/2" tip, and was 62". The weight on both bows were in the low 50# range at 26".

I for sure would go with narrower tips now on most any bow I make. I would like to know what experienced folks using hornbeam think are the best dimensions for this bow. I would intend it to be a typical flat bow, possibly recurved tips, and the low 50# range.

Thanks!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Hornbeam Bow best dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:06:08 pm »
Greg, Ive yet to find a piece of american hornbeam that would make a bow. Ive made several from hophornbeam though and its likes similar dimensions to what you mentioned.  1 1/2" wide to mid limb and taper to 1/2" nocks. 64" long.8" stiff handle.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 03:16:14 am »
   I would start at about 1 3/4 wide, tapering the last 1/2 of the limb to the tips, a 52# bow as you describe I would like to finish up at around 20 oz, or close give or take a little. I adjust the mass weight on the bow by narrowing the width unless it is allready at weight or lighter.  if the wood has high moisture checking the mass wont work. Steve

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:16:24 am »
Thanks Ryan and Badger, I've had one roughed out for a 2-3 weeks now. I think it's 1-1/2" to midlimb and 62" in length. It's at the club so I'm going off memory. I was just wondering what others had done on theirs.
Greg

Offline bowmo

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:55:26 pm »
Brad Merkel and Tim Ott had some really nice hornbeam bows at MOJAM last year. Both were built just like the wood was osage. Good wood, but works much better with a heat treated belly it seems....

Dan

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:58:33 pm »
Thanks Dan!
Greg

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:38:20 pm »

Ryan,
I'll show you some hornbeam in the woods that would make bows when you come down for the Classic.  :)
Greg