Author Topic: Schöningen Spear Replication Project - all stone tools  (Read 17108 times)

Offline Dane

Schöningen Spear Replication Project - all stone tools
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:42:57 am »
Schöningen Spear Replication Project

Please be advised that this is only a quick report to share what I learned in my first foray into stone technology. Later, I will repost a much better and more detailed report, along with testing results. But for now, enjoy.

This is my first attempt at an all stone tool project. Someone posted a link to an article about four 400,000 year old hunting spears found in Germany in 1995. http://www.schoeningerspeere.de/ is a link to the official website. You can actually scroll along to see one of the four spears in its entirety. What I am hoping to find later is exact dimensions of the spear, particularly the diameter of the distal and proximal ends. (note, using Google, you can hit translate from the site’s German to English, not perfect, but enough to understand the site if your German is as rudimentary as mine is).

However, I had enough data to see if I could replicate one of the spears. I decided to make it about 7’ long. The archeologists feel that three of the four spears found at the site were throwing spears and not just thrusting spears.

The people who made these spears were Homo heidelbergensis, from the Middle Pleistocene period. http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homoheidelbergensis.htm. These guys were the ancestors of both Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens (both us). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_heidelbergensis.

Probably the tools I was using would have been scoffed at by a Neanderthal hunter as pretty elementary, but I like to think he would have smiled and said perhaps one day, I will evolve to his skill level :). Still being new to even the idea of using stone tools, all I had at my disposal were three large Novaculite chips, which turned out to be enough for this project, and even more than enough. Two had nice almost serrated edges, which came in handy not only for sawing grooves in the saplings, but in shaving off the bark, almost like a draw knife, and just as efficient for that purpose as my new fangled steel ones.

So, here is the sequence of events.

At 7 AM, arrived on site at my club in Deerfield, Massachusetts. I decided to wear a long skin shirt as part of this overall experience. It was still a bit chilly, and I could see my breath as I tramped through the woods in search of my prey (spear saplings).

It didn’t take long to find two sugar maple saplings I felt were the right diameter and length. I used my largest Novaculite chip to cut it down. Wearing a leather glove to protect my hand, a combination of downward and inward chopping combined with vigorous twisting had the sampling down in about 5 minutes, without raising much sweat. The skin shirt seemed to breathe easily, and kept me comfortable. After that, I debarked the sapling very easily, a task that took about 24 minutes. While I was at it, I shaved off a number of tiny pin knots.

I then repeated these tasks for a second spear.

I then tromped out of the woods and started on the other tasks. I sawed a groove around the entire diameter of the proximal (butt) end, then some twisting and it came off cleanly. This took about 3 minutes. There was a pile of stone nearby, and I abraded the end until I was satisfied with it. I also abraded a couple of larger knots, which would have been really challenging with the Novaculite chips.

The pointy end was not that difficult to do, and took about 30 minutes to complete. I sawed a groove back where I wanted the tip to begin, and then used a piece of the Novaculite almost as a drawknife, with the butt end of the spear resting on the ground. I shaved toward me and inward. It went pretty well, and I then discovered that peeling some wood from the tip down or visa versa and then applied abrasion made the job go faster. Note: the tip of the spear illustrated in the first website I posted a link to was much longer in taper, and as I refine the tips of my spears, I will strive to come closer to the original.

I repeated the above steps for the second spear.

Entire time spent in finding, harvesting, and working on the spears was about 3 hours.

And that is it for now. After I let the spears season, I plan to define and improve the pointy ends, then fire harden the tip, as well as use fire to straighten the entire spears as necessary. Some bear grease is waiting in my refrigerator to use as a finish. Then the really fun part of testing will begin. At that point, I’ll repost a better report. Even now, in their incomplete form, they really feel like serious hunting weapons, and feel good in the hand.

Of the biggest single value to me was actually getting my feet wet with stone tools. As crude as they were, they were really much more efficient than I had expected, and a lot of fun, as well. I almost felt I spanned the gulf of time between those ancient hunters who lived in what is now Germany, just a tiny bit. And this is most importantly basic training for when I start replicating Stone Aged bows, atlatls and other material artifacts using only paleo tools and techniques.

The first set of shots is harvesting the saplings, and then the rest will be shots of working the saplings into spears.

Thanks for reading,

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:51:34 am by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

Re: Schöningen Spear Replication Project - all stone tools
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:45:33 am »
More shots (not too many :).

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:47:02 am »
Last shots.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:15:47 am »
A little over 24 hours later, on the 4th of July, I did some more work on the spear tips. I wanted to define them more, get them longer and slimmer, and I will assume, give them more penetrating ability.

The wood is still green, and still easy to work. Perhaps a bit easier now. Using the same three flakes, I took the spears to my workbench (not paleo, I know, but I hope doesnt detract from the value of the project), and worked the tip down to conform more to the original spear. It was really very easy to do this, and now that the wood is a wee bit more seasoned, it was no problem at all to use the stone flakes as scrapers and as planes. I worked toward the tip, keeping the stone edge shallow and pushing down as I moved away from me and toward the tip, and you can see from the photos how well the stone shaves wood.

Finally, the last couple of shots in the next post show scraping out tool marks from the day before with a duller stone edge, and finally, the second spear tip.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:18:04 am »
Scraping and last tip, as indicated above.

Offline Bonsai

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:13:58 pm »
WOW,

great Job!!

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:45:14 pm »
Bonsai, thanks! It was way too hot yesterday to work on this, but I'll be back to it asap.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »
If you haven’t read it yet, I recommend getting a copy of Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills, David Wescott, editor, Gibbs-Smith Publisher.

Errett Callahan had a good article on what experimental archeology is. He breaks it down into 3 levels. Level I is non-authentic and non-scientific. Level II is authentic but non-scientific, which he calls experiential. Third is Level III, authentic and scientific. Just through this project, I’ve begun to understand in more than just an intellectual way what he is aiming at. I think most primitive bow projects straddle at least two of these categories, and sometimes all three. In other words, using power tools (band saw, etc), but authentic materials and designs, and documented at least from a construction perspective and aid (in progress shots to get advice on tiller, etc). One of the biggest single reasons for Level III is to report on and share information with others. We do that really well here on PA as a community, happily. Few of us, though, document projects for consumption outside the PA community, ie for technical, academic or lay audiences.

As for construction of an experiment, the primary goal of this spear project is to see how efficient and usable sharp pieces of stone are as wood working tools, and secondarily, how the spears will perform in the field. Could you feed your family or tribe if armed with such a spear? What is the range you can accurately throw the spear? How efficient is it at killing game of different sizes? What environments would it be more appropriately used in (steppe or prairie vs. woodland or mountainous terrain)? Can it be used for other purposes other than throwing or thrusting?

What I don’t believe thinking along these lines is for everyone, what I have always felt was lacking from my personal experience in making a (replica) wooden bow is a better understanding of what an ancient bowyer faced technically when using only stone tools, no modern workbench clamps, no tillering tree, no chalk line to find the center. The end result functionally of a, say, exact replica Holmegaard bow made with modern tools and one made with stone tools will be about the same (it tosses an arrow), but what is missing is the entire process of making that same bow with the limitations and strengths of authentic tools from the Mesolithic period the bow came from.

Other things we take for granted would become a large part of planning an all stone tool bow, such as the amount of time harvesting and creating the bow, using the most perfect stave or sapling you can find (ie no character staves, as you want to maximize the greater amount of time it takes to make a bow with stone tools, and minimize failure), no electric lights so all work has to be done outside or have a workspace with good natural light, a sinew or fiber string to mark the center, charcoal or some other material to mark out dimensions and to help in tillering by marking areas for wood removal, and so on. Even a very large diameter tree you wouldn’t think twice of felling with an axe or chainsaw would have to be considered from a different perspective, with fire felling or storm damaged trees (off the top of my head) being maybe the best ways to get a big tree on the ground. Then you have to split it with wooden or antler wedges, and sledge hammers and steel splitting wedges of course are off limits.

Dane

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 04:57:10 am »
Hi Dane, interesting project ;)

"Es handelt sich um insgesamt sieben recht gut erhaltene Holzspeere. Sie haben Längen von 1,82 m bis ca. 2,50 m bei einem maximalen Durchmesser von ca. 3 cm bis 5 cm.

Nach den Holzartenbestimmungen durch W. H. Schoch sind bis auf eine Ausnahme alle Speere, ebenso wie das mutmaßliche Wurfholz, aus Fichte hergestellt. Es sind dafür Stämmchen ausgewählt und die Spitzen der Speere auf z.T. mehr als 60 cm Länge jeweils aus der Basis der Stämmchen herausgearbeitet worden. Die Astansätze wurden sorgfältig abgearbeitet. Der größte Durchmesser und Schwerpunkt liegt bei den Speeren im Vorderteil des Schaftes. Dies läßt erkennen, daß die Schöninger Stücke keine Stoßlanzen, sondern Wurfspeere sind."

This is the Part with the measurements: They found seven spears. The length is between 72" and 99". The maximum diameter 1 1/4 " to nearly 2". The wood that is used is mostly spruce (only one spear is not from spruce). The spears are made from little Trees (saplings are used). The point are worked out of the basic of the saplings on a length up to 25". The greatest diameter and also the emphasis of the spears is loceted in the front part of the spear. The spears from Schöningen are for throwing and not for pushing.

May be that helps more than a googel translation :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:00:25 am by AndrewS »

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:19:23 am »
Andrew, thanks! That is immensely helpful.

I'll have to go out and find some softwood saplings, spruce if possible, or a comparable wood. Interesting that they were made from lighter wood. Maybe that helped in distance throws? Or was it the only type of wood available to the original makers? I wonder what the weight of a javalin is you see used at track and field competitions? 

Softer wood would of course also be easier to work with stone tools.

Dane

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03:31 am »
dane next time we get together i'll show you some tricks. great work so far.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:38:07 pm »
Thanks, Jamie.

This Friday or Sat., I'll be harvesting some softwood spear shafts, almost certainly spruce grows on our property, but at the least, pine. The SG of spruce and pine is pretty close depending on species.

More details soon, but I'm planning a primitive event for early October, and maybe you can come to that.

Plans (I will determine for certain what we will offer soon) include an ISAC atlatl toss, primitive archery for adults and kids, bullroarers, rabbit sticks / boomerangs, cave art, Mesolithic river stone pendant making, monumental stone circles in miniature (microlith circles, think of a big sand table like those desktop Zen gardens, I think this will be a fun thing for folks to play with), and skin and frame boat making. Perhaps fire making, and other skills, depending on different factors.

We can use a good knapper, so if this event works for you, you would be very welcome to come play. Any tricks would be welcome any time, too.

Dane

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 04:00:59 pm »
Awesome, definetly keep me in the loop
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »
Cool, man, I will keep you closely informed.

Take care, stay cool, make stuff.

Dane

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:24:39 pm »
Nice work Dane.  Keep me in the loop for your Prim. event. 
Traverse City, MI