Author Topic: Changes to BOM and BOY Contest!  (Read 7932 times)

Manager

Changes to BOM and BOY Contest!
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:23:32 pm »
I want to start this off by thanking Oldbow, Don Berg, for all the work that he has put into doing the BOM and BOY for us.  He has been doing this since 2003 and has done a fabulous job.  Unfortunately for us, Oldbow is retiring from the BOM and BOY.  He is off to build bow, boats and spend time in the great outdoors.  Don, thank you again for all of your hard work and dedication to Primitive Archer.

Gina, who is a current proof reader has agreed to take over this role and I would like you all to help her out and allow her to get familiar with you and your bows!!!  If you would like to have your bow in consideration for BOM for June and all future months, please email her the link to the topic in which you have posted regarding your bow.  Her email address is Gina.dutton@gmail.com  .  If you all have questions, please fell free to email me or her and we will be glad to help you out!!

Thank you again to Don and Welcome aboard Gina!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Changes to BOM and BOY Contest!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »
Thanks for all the time, effort and heart you put into the BOM contest over the years, Don!  I hate to see ya go, but good luck on your boat and other future endeavors.....   :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »
Oh and Gina if you get tired of doing it then I would be happy to take it over too.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:22 pm »
oldbow hard to see you go , its nice to be considered in the contest even if you dont make worthy bows ! , gonna miss ya !.....oh by the way i would like one of those cedar strip conoes when you get around to it  ;D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:34 pm »
Wow, alright, here here to the hard work the OldBow put into the contest.  I enjoyed your approach to an all inclusive contest - very teacher-like.  Thanks for all the hard work you've done!
1’—>1’

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:21:50 pm »
Maybe when I get this boat done (I started it in January!!) I will have time to make a bow. I have lots of good stock. I'll guarantee you making bow is more difficult. But there are so many pieces in the boat which is time consuming.
Anyway, this is my 15' recreational rowing boat as of this a.m. I pretty much just have to coat the inside with raw linseed oil and will paint the hull dark blue this coming week.\

I've thoroughly enjoyed working with the Bow of the Month program which I started seven years ago.
But the credit goes to you bowyers for all your hard work!
- Thanks, OldBow
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 06:41:28 pm »
Beautiful work Don, can't wait to see your bows!
Nate Danforth

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »
Thanks Oldbow, I've really enjoyed the BOM the last 2 years, Thats a beautifull  boat, definately a winner for the 'boat of the month' ;D
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:36:04 pm »
That is a nice piece of boatwrighting?. I was just out this past weekend in an aluminum rowboat with the pug and wife, and you can't beat the honesty and beauty of wood. 

Can you tell us more about the boat? What will you name her? What kinds of woods? How hard was it to tiller? :) Will you add a motor or a sail?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:37:38 am »
Great looking boat Don. Where did you find the pattern?
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:48:35 pm »
This will be recreational pulling boat (row boat). It is 15' in length. The larger version (17') accomodates two rowers. The blueprints came from Dave Kuperstein of sageboats.com in Prineville, OR. If a sailboat is needed, there are other designs available but it would take more experience than I have to add a sail. The transom could be built up for a small motor but I plan to row it.
I did change the gunnel plans by making an open gunnel system that was pretty time consuming but makes for a more classy boat.
The wood is marine grade fir, the epoxy from the West System which has no smell and it excellent in my estimation.
I used a heat gun to preshape the curve of each part of the gunnel and also ribs which are oak and built up of 5/16" laminations. My work with heating curves for bows gave me the experience I needed to add shapes to the boat.
Wood boat building supplies are not much available here in Missoula so I ordered hull paint (dark blue), raw linseed oil for the interior, bronze screws, ore locks and sockets from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island.
 Wood boat building is a big deal on both coasts and the Great Lakes and lots of  on-line references, supplies, etc. are common.
I plan to have this "self-inflicted" project done by mid-June and I don't plan to buiild another one :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:07:06 am »
Don, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You did a beautiful job on her. Does she have a name yet?

Your posting has motivated me to get back to a wood and canvas kayak project. Seeing all those day-glo plastic kayaks over the weekend also motivated me. They are fun to paddle but soooo ugly.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

bowkee

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 09:14:21 pm »
Congrads Don, Have a good one 8)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »
Thanks Don for all the hard work and the  great job you've done these past years with PA.I look forward to seeing your work on post. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 01:35:43 am »
My dream, Don to build a wooden boat. Watched my Uncle build a canoe once. And have lived on lakes most of my life. Take care and thanks for all you have done for bom. Denny