Author Topic: Triceritop bow  (Read 18253 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Triceritop bow
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:45:08 pm »
I finished this a few months ago and wasn't going to post it. Manny gave me static about making bows with the wood he sent me so Ill post it for him. It is 40# at 25".  I wanted to try something new so I decided to make a bow for my nephew.  It has horn tips and a horn inlay rest. I had never done horn tips before so I thought why not on this one.  Ill go over to their house and get some full draw pictures, and get the dimensions. Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tpoof

Re: Triceritop bow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:16:57 pm »
Wasn't going to post it!!! ???

Thats a beaut of a bow!! She looks wonderful at rest and brace!  :o
That horn work is very nice as well,, never seen a rest such as that before,, nice

Tell us more,,, ;) :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 06:23:17 pm »
Thats a beauty Justin. Is that horn some of what you sent me? I like the arrow pass especially but the tips look good also. How bout a pic of the shape?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:32:18 pm »
Really good looking bow Justin, I'm assuming since it's from Manny that it's Guava... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:36:35 pm »
Thats a sweet lookin bow, really like the tips, gotta try that soon!...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:43:07 pm »
justin that is so cool.  that arrow rest is beautiful.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:37:29 pm »
Thanks everyone.
Yes Pat, that is from the same batch I sent to you. Ill take a few more pictures when I get over to my brothers house. Hopefully his son will be home so he can draw it for the pictures.
Yes Greg it is guava.
Like I said, I have never done horn tips so I wanted to try them. Then I had a piece of horn with a crack that wouldn't work for a tip so I cut it in half and inlaid it 1/4" into the riser and cut out the shelf.  I didn't know if it would work. But I am happy with the results.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 07:51:24 pm »
Good looking bow, and good job with the horn work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:18:29 pm »
That's a great looking bow Justin.  I love the tiller at brace height.  Your horn tips look good too.  I can't wait to see your full draw shot.

J. D. Duff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:25:58 pm »
 Very nice Justin,That is some good looking horn work.What kind is it?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:19:14 pm »
Looks nice to me Justin, so why weren't you going to post it? The tips are neat, I'll have to try horn sometime. I played around with all kinds of woods for overlays, now I don't even put them on. Maybe I'm getting lazy?
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:28:27 pm »
OK dimensions are 60" NTN, 1 1/4" at the fades to midlimb, 3/8" just before horn. It has a pretty good hump in the upper limb where there was a knot on the back.  My nephew has had it for about 3 months and has been using it hard. It has about 1/2" of set and a lot of bumps and bruises.  :-\ Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 10:32:37 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words.  No reason why I wasn't going to post it. I just don't post many bows. I guess I'm intimidated by the wicked bows some of you guys are making.  I had my brother bring it over to shoot tonight, but his boy was at baseball.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 01:44:31 am »
I like the tiller and tips on this bow.  How well does the horn rest work as a functional addition?  Does it add any noise to the draw or release, or affect the arrow flight?  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:50 am »
Nice stuff justin, most definately worth posting. Your a favorite Uncle I'd imagine.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI