Author Topic: Question on wood marriages  (Read 8340 times)

DBernier

Question on wood marriages
« on: April 06, 2007, 11:08:23 am »
There is an "exotic" wood factory near my home. They have scrap baskets inside with all kinds of exotic, and native woods free for the taking. Outside there are "PILES" of wood, strips, some up to 14 feet long. I have a lot of it and was wondering if I glued up hickory over Brazilion cherry or oak over the cherry would it make a serviceable bow. I am alway experimenting but would like some input. BTW I will have a BUNCH of the handle wood and a bunch of, at least 8 feet, pieces at the NC state shoot for free.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on wood marriages
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:40:20 am »
Dick, I would say go for it. Almost any good hardwood should make a good bow, especially with hickory backing.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:48:24 am »
The hickory and brazilian cherry is an excellent combo, I am working on a boo backed braz cherry this morning. I don't think I would back with oak. Steve

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:00:55 pm »
Thanks Pat and Badger, I will pick out a couple of pieces of hick and cherry this morning.

Dick

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »
Well, funny you guys should speak of the devil!!! ::)
I am gluing up a Braz. cherry backed with hickory tonite....I hope to have it ready to tiller by Sunday. :)

Riser is Braz. Cherry with center accent of B. walnut.

Dry fit of Br.Cherry belly with Riser to check curves. Braz. Cherry is very nice color and tough. Hopefully it'll make a functional bow ::)
Stay Tuned.....

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 04:13:03 pm »
Dick,

Sounds like a sweet deal.  I love the fact that you're willing to share too. 

J. D. Duff

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:19:31 pm »
Now thats the kind of neighbor I wish I had.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI