Author Topic: Leather arm thingy & bow quiver  (Read 14891 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Leather arm thingy & bow quiver
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
I stumbled across a source of saddle leather scraps (sold by the pound), so I bought some, with the following projects in mind.

For the string slap mitigator, I simply trimmed a piece up minimally, then since the leather is almost 1/4" thick, I made plunging angle cuts from 2 directions for the thong loops.  That way the leather against my skin is undisturbed by the thong coming through.  Worked out very nicely, IMO.  The V cut at my elbow is to prevent the leather from curling out and getting hooked by the string.  The thong is just leather shoelaces, and I cut a bungy adjusting clip out of a jacket I'm not going to wear any more.  So I don't have to tie a bow with my teeth.   ;D

The leather bow quiver in the last issue of Primitive Archer was a real eye-opener for me.  I thought if I modified how the pieces attach to the bow I could anchor them closer to the handle and mitigate potential noise-inducing movement.  I think I'll go to the range tonight and see how the new stuff works.  I'm especially looking forward to not holding a piece of cereal box cardboard to my arm with rubber bands.  And I'm especially looking forward to not yanking out arm hair while removing those rubber bands.  Thanks for looking!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Leather arm thingy & bow quiver
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:54:11 pm »
dude... those look cool.  Great job!  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »
Thanks Josh!

Very little effort for the payoff, I must say.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:59:32 pm »
"string slap mitigator"  hehehe, you work for the gub'ment?  I like that term.   What type of cereal box did you prefer, Wheaties or Count Chocula?

I'm going to have to try the bow quiver idea, looks pretty handy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:46 pm »
Just for the street cred, I'm gonna say "Count Chocula."   ;)

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:23:42 pm »
I'm especially looking forward to not holding a piece of cereal box cardboard to my arm with rubber bands.  And I'm especially looking forward to not yanking out arm hair while removing those rubber bands.  Thanks for looking!"

LOL. Thats great. Doing what you gotta do....

I like your new armguard and bow quiver. Nice job. Let us know how the quiver works out.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:55:22 pm »
good job Garrett....been meaning to try that type of quiver too....
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:06:16 am »
Interesting quiver....might have to try and replicate  ;)  Can you post up some drawings or show them flat?  Thanks!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:32:28 am »
Thanks for the comments guys!  I took my new kit to the range and am very happy.  The bow if anything is quieter with the quiver there to dampen vibration, it didn't affect my shooting, except to maybe improve it (I still suck), and doesn't make the weight of the bow unwieldy, but I AM used to carrying 7 lbs of steel for a hunting weapon.  I shot the bow with the quiver both full and then empty.  I thought there might be too much flopping or even bow slapping without arrows to stiffen the two pieces, but again it was a non-issue.

Here's a few pictures of one of the pieces.  They're the same except opposite.  I forgot to put a ruler in the shots, but the rough dimensions are 2" at the narrowest part, and about 6-61/2" long.  Just wing it, that's what I did.  The arrow grabbing holes are made with 3 cuts of an exacto blade, 1st an X, then cut out the back of the arrow-holding triangle.  The other half of the X facilitates loading of the arrows, like a funnel.  You'll notice that I thinned the leather for the bow attachment.  The center strap is totally thinned, and on either side of the strap it's thinned in a taper, but on the opposite side of the leather.  I did this because the leather is about 1/4" thick, and would have been difficult to fit nicely over the bow limb.  Make sure you plan the thinning so that the smooth side of the leather faces the direction you want it to.  I faced the smooth side up.

There's definitely room for tweaking the design, but I don't have any suggestions as to what to change or how.  I'm interested in any improvements anybody might come up with.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »
Mad looking and great. I love it.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:59:21 pm »
I like those very much!  The bow quiver is inspired!!

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:26 pm »
Cool project. Ain't it nice to make your own tackle?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
Thanks for the words, guys!  It IS very nice to make my own tackle.  Gotta make some more stuff before hunting season, which is coming right up.

Can't take credit for the idea, as I mentioned the last Primitive Archer mag had pics of a similar bow quiver.  Mickey Lotz deserves your kudos, even if I think mine is better.  ;)

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:47 am »
dude.. that primitive bow quiver is nice!  i might have to try that out
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Mickey

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
Thanks for the Kudos Zenmonkeyman.

I made and have been hunting with that type of quiver for close to 10 years now I suppose. I call it a "Floppy Quiver". I originally made it to hold one arrow which I wrote about in the Fall 2006 Issue called "Simplified Bow Hunting". Later I had a 2 arrow version sewn up so I could carry a small game/practice arrow. I can't stand carrying a metal/plastic 4 or 5 arrow quiver on my bows anymore. Just adds so much weight and makes it feel one side heavy.The floppy quiver itself adds but an ounce or two to the bow, and if you are carrying only one ot two arrows, the whole setup adds little weight to the weight of the bow, making it easy to carry through the woods all day without getting tired. Used to have instructions on my website before all the info was lost on how to make them and the Floppy Arra Rest (which i see you are also using on your bow). Good deal.

Happy Hunting

Mickey