Author Topic: Snakebow help  (Read 21279 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Snakebow help
« on: April 06, 2007, 03:24:32 pm »
I'm trying to build a snakebow and I am struggling. I keep on straightening it, but the more I mess with it the more twisty and curvy it gets. You can see from the first picture that I had it almost straight. Then I tried to pick it up and it got all twisty without me even touching it.  This snake bow BITES.   Maybe I should quit getting it warm to straighten it and try cold.  Any ideas on how to make a bow out of this. Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snakebow help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:28:01 pm »
Boy! A pair of those would look good on a bow. What kind is it? Doesn't look like the poisonous variety.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 03:34:06 pm »
 Justin ...You HAVE TO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS. Whats wifes phone # ?.......... :D :D :D.bob

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:38:48 pm »
Justin,  I had some luck with one very similar. Cold tillering is the only way to go. Freeze to -175% and you will find that the mollucles will hold much more of thier ridgidity.  LOL nice post!
  Nice snake, is it a pet?    Keenan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 05:36:34 pm »
He is just a gopher snake. I picked him up out of the road this morning while I was out running my dogs.  He will probably get his sentence commuted. I will let the boy keep him as a pet for a while.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 08:58:24 pm »
The boy came home from school and the snake was loose in the garage. I couldn't find it, but my boy kept looking. 2 hour later he came in the house with it.  I don't think he has ever stayed on task that long in his life.  Here are a couple more pictures.  The kids are holding a yard stick.  That is Cody 10, and Alex 12. Yes he is really almost 3 years younger and bigger than her.  Justin
PS Cody said it is going on a bow.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

SW Utah

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:33:44 pm »
I don't know about the commuted sentence Justin. Would look awfully good on a bow. Plus I don't keep any live snakes at my house. My oldest boy got in a lot of trouble this afternoon. He killed a water snake and brought it home for me. Then he thought it'd be funny to put by his mom's car door :o Sometimes I worry about that boy ;D Now the snake has a big gash in his hide. Still usable though. It was a big snake.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 10:50:55 pm »
Cool pics, Justin. That's wild, I also have a son named Cody who's 11. He's gonna be a big 'un too- already about 5' 7" and wearing size ten shoes lol.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:37:40 am »
Yea Steve, he started tackle football last year. The coaches started calling him the Refrigerator at weighins. He was the tallest kid in the league and was double the weight of most.  At 10 he is 5' 5" and 145#.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 06:14:48 am »
Thanks fer the laugh Justin ;D
Looks like ya have fine family do yer kids hunt with ya?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 11:09:46 am »
Thanks Dana,  Yes the kids hunt with me. They like to go out to shoot with me and think they are cute when they try to shoot my arrows with theirs.  We get a contest going on who can hit the others arrows.  I had to replace 2 nocks on MY arrows last night.  ;D  Justin

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 02:46:31 pm »
Justin, does look like you got the makin's for a great character snake bow! ;D

Did you ever get out and hunt the rattled variety yet?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:06:35 am »
Greg, that is kind of what I was doing when I found this one.  Tonight I got his little brother. Just big enough for arrows. Justin

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:31:33 pm »

What kind of rattlers do you usually come across in Utah?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 03:47:48 pm »
Hey Pat, I have the question of the day for you. 
Q. How many gopher snakes does it take to back a 6 foot bow? 
A. 1
I picked up the big brother of this little snake today.  He is 6 feet long.

Sorry Greg, I missed the question.  We have Mojave, a few Western Diamondback, Prairie and Sidewinder. And of course gila monsters, the only poison lizard in North America.

SW Utah