Author Topic: Target shooting metal arrowhead success!  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Orkraider

Target shooting metal arrowhead success!
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:28 pm »
Every once in a while, you'll come across a method of doing something that shows a truly beautiful amount of craftmanship and care.

This is not one of those times.

I've been trying for a while to figure out how to make my own arrow heads for target shooting.

I've looked at some of the posts on making trade points, and that's awesome, but with the skills I have, and my puny angle grinder, it takes too long.

Some of the stuff I've seen posted on using duplex nails as field points has been excellent, and when I switch to bamboo shafts, or get a drill press, that's the method I'm probably going to use.

But for me, now, here's what I've come up with.

I take my arrow shaft, and stick the tip in a pencil sharpener, and sharpen it until there's about 1/8 " left flat at the tip.

Then I whip out the angle grinder. (this is my new fave tool.) I've got a cutting disk on it that's 1/8 " thick.  I use it to cut a groove about 1/16" deep and 1/8 " wide running along both sides of the shaft for about 5 ", and gently over the tip as well.

Then I cut a 10 " length of coat hanger wire. I believe the hangers I have are 14 gauge heat treated steel, which I'm pretty sure is normal coat hanger wire.

Using a nail pounded into a 2 x 4, and some pliers, I bend each piece of wire so that it comes to a point in the center, in a V shape, with the ends running parallel about 3/8" apart..

I snug this into the slot, and wrap duct tape over the ends of the wire. I put on enough so that there's a smooth transition from the end of the wire to the shaft; this way it doesn't mess things up when I draw.

I wrap another band of duct tape 2" back from the point.

Then, I put a grinding disk on my angle grinder. (all the experts at all the hardware stores I've gone to have said an angle grinder is exactly wrong for working with wood, but so far, it's awesome!)

I hold the shaft at an angle to the grinder, and take off just a wee bit of wood around the last 1" of the top, so that the metal wire is just barely sticking out over the surface of the wood.

The process of using a metal grinding wheel on a high speed tool, rather than an abrasive sand wheel on a slower speed tool that you'd normally use for wood, means that the wood gets hot and burns just a wee bit.

This ends up giving the wood part of the tip a nice, smooth, dark, hard surface. It seems like this is just the right temp to harden the wood.

I then use the grinding wheel to put a slight edge on the point of the metal, and the first inch or so of the head.

Like I said, it's not pretty, but of all the experiments I've done so far with making my own arrows, this has worked out the best.

For my shafts, this puts the balance point about 3" FOC, (if I'm using that right; 3 inches closer to the front for the center of the arrow), which made them a LOT more stable in flight then what I was shooting before.

I've taken this set of 12 arrows to the range 3 days in a row now, and for the first time, I haven't broken a single shaft, or lost a single head.

The arrows plunge into the hay bales to about 4 or 5 inches, and the wire protects the shaft.

Now, I did try stumping with the first 6 arrows I made like this; big mistake. The arrows penetrated a good way into the tree, and taking the shaft out destroyed the whole thing; also, the impact usually broke the tip. So, not good for stumping, but if you're shooting at a soft target, seems ideal.

As far as refinements, for the next batch, I"m going to try flattening the 2 ends of the wire where it meets the shaft, and putting a subtle indentation in the shaft at that point; I'd like to be able to bind this with thread or artificial sinew and have it recessed enough that the threading doesn't get messed up on impact.

One last thing, I haven't put these on a scale yet, but they feel heavier than any arrow I've made so far. You might want different amounts of wire; I'm shooting a bow that's 70 - 75 pounds, so these work right for me.

Wow, this turned into a novel; I'll update with pics if I find my camera. Any questions, suggestions, or ideas, let me know.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Barrage

Re: Target shooting metal arrowhead success!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:40:15 pm »
Every once in a while, you'll come across a method of doing something that shows a truly beautiful amount of craftmanship and care.

This is not one of those times.

Lol, ah, after an introduction like that you definitely need to get some pictures of this arrow...  :D :) ;D
Travis

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:11:06 pm »
good explaination..
But you Gotta  just gotta post some pics.

I think I understand and have a pic in my brain of what this looks like... but...

good idea tho. sounds like it works good.
later
n2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:35:53 pm »
Sounds like a cool innovative approach, I too vote for some pictures!

Offline Orkraider

Updated: Target shooting metal arrowhead success!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:46:36 am »
Ok, I found my cam, all I need now is a double ended usb cable. and so far, I'm coming up empty.

On the plus side, I did find my 3d modeling software; so here's a pic of what I'm doing from that.

I took another stab at this today, using a 3/8" shaft instead of a 5/16";  I'm going to be switching to the larger size, as it seems like that's a better fit for my bow.

I learned a few things; trying to hold an angle grinder and a wooden shaft at the same time is ridiculous; I need a workbench with a vise.

I managed to pound the last 1/4 " or so of the wire flat on each end. The tail ends of the wire now sit flush in the groove that runs along the shaft to the tip.

I wrapped b50 around the ends, and saturated it with glue; it looks nice, and it's holding well.

I also made my first home made stain, using concentrated black tea, rubbing it into the wood, letting it dry, and then applying a solution of iron acetate made by soaking a steel wool pad in vinegar. I love the looks, and it's what I'm going to do my new bow in.

The image below attempts to show: a shaft, a shaft with the taper on it, a cutting wheel making the groove in the shaft, a segment of coat hanger wire, that wire bent around a nail, then slotted into the groove, and the ends bound with thread.

This is a very simplified representation, as I haven't had coffee yet, but hopefully you get the idea; as said before, as soon as I find my usb cable, real life pics. =)

pic:
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:22 pm »
Interesting concept. Do you have a filler in the void inside the wire?

I had thought about using a 14 ga. piece of profile cut sheet metal as you have used your wire fitted in a slotted tapered end. I have not tried it in spite of having access to the sheet metal and a laser to cut out the parts (at work). Mainly because i stopped (for now) with wood arrows, and have been all bamboo, all the time.

Chuck S.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:49 pm »
There's no filler. It's possible that my quick and dirty models don't show it quite right. The depth of the groove is the same as the radius of the wire, i.e. 1/2 the diameter. the wire fills the groove, half the thickness of the wire in the groove, half sticking above the surface of the wood. 
I took these arrows to the range again today, and they all worked great. One arrow hit a metal upright that was supporting a hay bale, and lost about 1/4" of wood off the very tip; even that one continued to shoot well.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:38:34 pm »
It was not your model that was unclear it was me. I thought the groove was a thru cut slot. NOW I get it the wire sits in the groove, no filler necessary, well that is even better.

Chuck S.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »
well, I took these out to the range again yesterday. If I hit the hay bale, dirt, or grass, they're fine; if they hit a metal pole or a tree, there's usually some damage. For the most part, it's just some bending in the wire at the very tip; sometimes, especially if I whack a metal upright dead on, a 1/4" of wood will break off the very tip of the shaft.   

Still, for me, this is making a huge difference; All the materials I need to make arrows can now be had at Menards that's close to me. My total arrow cost is now 20 cents per shaft, not counting labor.   

having more arrows available is making a huge difference in my accuracy. I simply have more time to shoot now. It's getting more and more fun as time goes on.  I had a zen moment yesterday, shot a stick of 6 arrows from 20 yards, and all of them were within a couple inches of dead center on the target. That rarely happens for me, but as I was shooting, I could feel that everything was just right. A little bit of "Flow", if any of you are familiar with that. 

I just bought another 20 dowel shafts last night. Today I'm going to be testing them for spine (which I haven't done yet), staining them with my homemade stain (tannic acid and iron acetate), and using a homemade scale to check these ghetto wire heads for weight in grains.   

Still no usb cable for my cam, but I hope I'll have something soon. 

Now, if only I could find a free local source for feathers, I'd be a happy man.  There's pigeons all over the place here, and they're starting to look pretty tempting..
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »
Feathers, geese when they molt in June