Author Topic: Help with EWB info  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Eric S. Campbell

Help with EWB info
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »
I am new to EWBs. I have made a few ELBs but plan to slowly work my way up to a 100+ pounder. For now I will settle for around an 80 lb bow when I make one.

In the mean time I am having a ward time finding info on traditional quivers besides the ones with the canvas outside and a leather disk 6" wide with around 24 holes.

Also what did some English targets look like and how were they made?

Are there any pictures on the web of some original Mary Rose bows?

Where can one find some bodkins for sale and any info on how to make them.

Thanks in advance! Any sites, books or shared info will help me alot. Unless I am looking in the wrong places there is not a whole lot on the web.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
Re: Help with EWB info
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:22:09 pm »
Hi,

Archers review have just done a feature on the Mary Rose bows with some really good pictures (search google for "archers review" - I don't think I will be allowed to post a link to it?)

Here is some info on archery butts which may be of interest - http://www.eng-h.gov.uk/mpp/mcd/butts.htm

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:33:03 pm »

In the mean time I am having a ward time finding info on traditional quivers besides the ones with the canvas outside and a leather disk 6" wide with around 24 holes.

Thanks in advance! Any sites, books or shared info will help me alot. Unless I am looking in the wrong places there is not a whole lot on the web.

The leather discs with canvas outside were arrow bags used in the late Middle Ages and Tudor periods, while quivers were used throughout the entire period, although not all archers used them. Quivers were made of wood, leather or a wood/leather combination usually in the form of a cylinder or a cylinder tapered toward the bottom, You can see them pictured in the Bayeuux tapestry or in drawings of the archer from the book 'The Double Armed Man' and in many mediaeval manuscript illustrations.

“ Targets’ were round wooden shields or the similar wooden discs [without the coloured rings] used to shoot at in late mediaeval or Tudor times. Before that archers shot at cloth or paper marks pinned to butts or at distant ‘clouts’ marked by a peg and a piece of cloth.
                                                                                      Erik

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:58 pm »

The leather discs with canvas outside were arrow bags used in the late Middle Ages and Tudor periods, while quivers were used throughout the entire period, although not all archers used them. Quivers were made of wood, leather or a wood/leather combination usually in the form of a cylinder or a cylinder tapered toward the bottom, You can see them pictured in the Bayeuux tapestry or in drawings of the archer from the book 'The Double Armed Man' and in many mediaeval manuscript illustrations.

“ Targets’ were round wooden shields or the similar wooden discs [without the coloured rings ] used to shoot at in late mediaeval or Tudor times. Before that archers shot at cloth or paper marks pinned to butts or at distant ‘clouts’ marked by a peg and a piece of cloth.

Erik