Author Topic: too hot to tan?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline deersled

too hot to tan?
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:18:58 am »
was thinking of working a hide in the rack this afternoon. It was brained and put in the freezer back in the spring and I was wondering if it is possible for the weather to be TOO HOT to work it. Temp in the 90's. My thinking is , as long as I stay on it it should dry fairly quickly. I know back in the spring/winter it always takes me about 4-6 hours to get one right.

Offline deersled

Re: too hot to tan?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:53 pm »
I'll answer this one myself. YES!YES! and YES! Man it was hot and humid. about 5 hrs worth. I guess humidity is more important than temp. Tanning in Georgia should be done from Nov. til March! lol! DUH!

Offline deersled

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:40 am »
apparently the humidity got me. I thought it still felt a little cool to the touch last night. Just couldn't fool with it anymore. took it out of the frame this morning and got that paper-like texture. Kind of stiff. Oh well, just have to do it again This time I'll stick to the basement.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:37 am »
Man...Tanning Hides in the 80's....in Georgia....yeah....too Hot for sure....put it up for a few months...and hit it then.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome