Author Topic: plank bow@58"  (Read 3514 times)

kinkfeather

plank bow@58"
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:16:20 pm »
can you build a red oak plank bow @ 58" an have 45#@ 25" an have a good hunting bow to use in a ground blind.does any one would know how wide an how thick the limbs should be.kink

half eye

Re: plank bow@58"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »
Hey Kink,
      That is very do-able, especially with a draw of 25". Me and Ken do'em even shorter at that weight for 27" draw and unbacked to boot. Ya might want to give me or Ken a call sometime. (231) 587-8542 or email with your telephone and I'll be happy to call you.
Rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »
joe heres my last two 58inch and 54inch

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:29 am »
Kinkster,

You could go even shorter if you eliminated the stiff handle and fadeouts.  With a good piece of hickory board, you could go 1 3/8" wide in the middle and down to 1/2 inch wide tips with only 50" of bow length.  Keep your cross section rectangular, and the tiller can be the tiniest bit stiff thru the handle area.  If you back it with rawhide, it would be as good as indestructable (unless I get my hands on it, mwahahaha).

Getting used to the feel of a bow flexing in your hand after shooting stiff handled bows takes some getting used to!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »
oh my.  how do you do that?  the recurve tips must help with stack.  id love to have a bow like that!  ive tried a few
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ken75

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:46:56 pm »
aero lol trial and error .lots of error . these bows finished low 40's and high 40's both draw sweet and stack isnt too bad. both have pyramid limbs with trapped backs three inch stiff handle with one inch fades limbs are 1 3/4 to 3/8th nocks . you'll have to ask halfeye how the 58inch shoots

half eye

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:46 pm »
aero,
     That 58" is a rocket launcher, even with my flying telephone pole arrows. It draws sweet and shoots even sweeter. It's going to stick a couple of them "pettin zoo" yankee deers this october. Allmost forgot...no string silencers (dont need 'em) the artificial sinew string and the bow are dead quiet. Dont know what it "weighs" but It wont ever get a scale put on it....cause at 20 yards it will bury one of my 700+ grain "poles" to the fletch in a foam broadhead target, (160grn Magnus 2) and that makes it a 'bambi" killer for sure.
rich

kinkfeather

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:44 pm »
bow blew up to much poundage for that lenght bow.too much stress on limbs.i am going back to longer limbs.i love those pyramid bows.maybe a little more poundage.i think i over cooked it with that much poundage.ken you were wright i should have backed the bow.it sounded like a shotgun when it broke.it broke in 6 pieces.i love that little bow but time to move on with another.i was back to about 14" on one was hurt but my pride.live an learn from my mistakes.thw weight felt like about 55 lbs when it broke.have a good week.kink

Offline ken75

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 01:28:22 am »
joe on the next one try the trick i pmed you about i think you will be surprised how well it works . if you can find some you oughta try some hickory should be plenty in your area. keep trying

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »
Hey, fellars. I'm working on a 53" hickory with a semi bendy handle as we speak. Hope to get a 50# out of it. If I have it shooting soon I'll post a pic for you kink and give you some dimensions. Of course, mine might blow on me too, but maybe not.  8)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline ken75

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »
ahh you'll get it  professor anybody that can make  scolloped Ottawa bow can handle a shorty