Author Topic: Kids bows  (Read 18646 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Kids bows
« on: April 07, 2007, 05:44:13 pm »
OK guys and gals, here are my two favorite shooting buddies with their bows.  They are hickory backed hickoryfrom the same board.  54" NTN, 20#@20" 
Alex really likes her cat so I painted kitty tracks on hers. Cody's took a little more time. It is free hand painted treebark camo. It took me about 4 hours to paint that sucker.  They think they are funny when they try to shoot my arrows.  ;D  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Kids bows
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:53:04 pm »
Two neat bows for two neat kids. Both well tillered, the bows that is.  ;D  Although the kids look well tillered also!
Hickory backed hickory bows ought to be perfect for the dry Utah climate.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:02:22 pm »
very cool. love the paint. you definetly have patience.

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:07 pm »
very nice justin.  i particularly like the handles.  you don't happen to have a picture of them?

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:45:52 pm »
Cool Justin, now send them out to hunt the neighbors cat! On second thought ya better not.
VB

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 06:54:22 pm »
 Hey !....Goiod lookin' bows and GOOD LOOKIN" kids. Yeah, daddy its just the beginning ! ;D....bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:13:41 pm »
Nice to see kids playin with sticks. The simple toys are always the best.
Cody looks like he's gonna need a bigger stick soon Justin. Better get busy ;D
Very cool  8)

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:41:45 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm kind of partial to them kids.  ;)  The bows are actually a couple of years old. My second and third. Just some more I never posted.  ;D  ;D   ;D I just thought you guys might like to see my cute kids.  ;D And of course a couple of kids bows. 
Marius, the handles were made to look like my first bow except cut to shoot right at the center of the bow. I then cut the shoot through window large to improve their vision of the target.  Not sure it made a difference, but I didn't know what I was doing and it is done.
VB, I'm afraid they would get one. Then what would I do to train my lion dogs.  ;D
Dana, I was helping them build their own arrows today.  We had a discussion about bigger bows.  We decided that he was going to build his own bow this time.
Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline WTK

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 10:17:10 pm »
Really cool bows! Love the smiles.
Want To Know

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 01:19:19 am »
Sweet, love those handles!

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 01:25:11 am »
Fantastic! Great bows, great kids, that is as good as it gets.
Justin Blunt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:54:04 am »
I vote that you do a Justin & Cody build along? ;D
And Alex can be the director/photographer.
Ok guys whos gonna back me up here?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 06:32:11 am »
justin, thanks for the pics.  i'm amazed how little wood is actually necessary in the handle.  the handle on my nephew's bow is massive and clumsy compared to yours, so i guess i'll have to revisit that bow.  thanks loads, justin  ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:23:25 am »
Good looking, well-armed little tribe you've got there.  I second the build-a-long motion. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 11:48:24 am »
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like the pictures.

Cody and I will do a buildalong when he does his bow. I'm thinking a hickory selfbow this time, but thats really up to him.  And of course he will want to put snake skins on it.  ;D

Marius, I generally carve the handle to fit the hand size.  I was told you can go to 3/4" wide if the area is 1 3/4" thick on a 60# bow and not have it bend. In TBB they say that twice as wide is twice as strong. But twice as thick is 8 times as strong.  Since a lot of osage bows are 1 1/4 wide and under 3/4" thick on the limbs. The mathematics suggest that by narrowing it to 3/4 the handle would be 30# but by adding 3/32" thickness you would be back to 60#. So if you add 1/4" the handle area will not bend. The laminated bow I posted the other day got down to under 1 inch wide, and 1 1/2" thick and did not bend at 60#.  Cody's gets down to 3/4" wide and 1 1/4" thick.  Justin

SW Utah