Author Topic: Suitable arrow wieght for hunting.  (Read 3348 times)

Offline newknapper

Suitable arrow wieght for hunting.
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:28:09 am »
I am courious about arrow wieght on primitive arrows shot from self bows. How heavy do you guys think an arrow shoul be to get suitable penetration from a 55lb osage self bow? I have some cane shafts already cut straightend and fletched, I wieghed them and minus the points (not made yet) there 350 grains + or -.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Suitable arrow wieght for hunting.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:28 am »
Personallly, I like an arrow on the heavy side.  I try to get them at least 10 gr. per pound.   I keep my shots close so speed isn't too critical, but they penetrate well.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:13:46 am »
I like about 525 to 550 total weight and with a 160 grain head they would be about right.  :) :)Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:19 am »
I think you are going to be fine. Even with a 125 gr point you will be 475 which will work fine. Ideal weight might be a little higher, but I have gotten complete pass through with 450 gr at 60#. It all comes down to shot placement. To eliminate both lungs on a deer you only need about 8-10" of penetration at the point. Bare shaft passing through the deer doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either.

Have you added a plug to the point end of the cane? Drilling it out and putting in a plug can add a little strength and weight.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »
I'm going to test out a few lead weights like you put inside the plastic worms. They are the size of pencil lead. If you weigh each on and cut it at the weight you are looking for then they will all be the same. It should give you the weight forward plus the kinetic energy

This is a question I need to ask. What is the great importance of a pass through? If the arrow penetrates and is inside grinding away, won't it have as well or better cutting going on?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »
This is a question I need to ask. What is the great importance of a pass through? If the arrow penetrates and is inside grinding away, won't it have as well or better cutting going on?
Like I said, pass through isn't needed. If you puncture both lungs it will do the job. Cutting the vitals is only one part of harvesting an animal. If the arrow is still plugging the holes in the chest cavity, or even worse there is only one hole and it is plugged, it is more likely to bleed out inside of the chest. It is real difficult to follow a blood trail if all the blood stays inside the chest cavity. Most of us do not have the tracking skills to find an animal that isn't bleeding significantly. The lungs will also colapse faster if the plug is gone.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline newknapper

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:26:49 pm »
I'm going to test out a few lead weights like you put inside the plastic worms. They are the size of pencil lead. If you weigh each on and cut it at the weight you are looking for then they will all be the same. It should give you the weight forward plus the kinetic energy

That is a good idea havent thought of that. I was considering plugging the shaft. Bout how big does a stone point have to be to make it to 125 to 150 grians? Any ideas?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:09:57 pm »
And one other good thing to remember is to have a sharp set of cutting edges on the arrows.  It is litterally impossible to have an arrowhead too sharp.  I cannot get a good edge on a broadhead with just my hands and eyes.  I use the Gatco Knife Sharpening System. 

The broadhead clamps into the holder and then the stone rides on a rod going though the jic, forcing me to hit the same angle on EVERY stroke.  Finer and finer stones make the cutting edge gleam with one single bevel, and then finally stropping on a piece of leather glued to a board will remove any residual wire edge.  Once sharpened, I slide the cutting edge thru a small piece of beeswax to seal it from moisture and rust.  Scanning microscopes will show just how quickly a fine edge is gone due to the pitting and erosion from rust.  Bic, Gillette, and the other makers learned long ago that razors don't wear out, they rust out. 

Good luck and good hunting.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »
  Not sure about the size. Get ya a grain scale and weigh a few. Check with your state to see if points are legal. One of the sponsors on here has stone points available in, to order weights, I think. Try and shoot for around 10 grains per pound on your bow. I have 4 ready for hunting season so far. I've made 7 and when I shot them out of my selfbow, those 4 grouped good. The other 3 are going to a friend to see if they work for his bow.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:26 am »
  Not sure about the size. Get ya a grain scale and weigh a few. Check with your state to see if points are legal. One of the sponsors on here has stone points available in, to order weights, I think. Try and shoot for around 10 grains per pound on your bow. I have 4 ready for hunting season so far. I've made 7 and when I shot them out of my selfbow, those 4 grouped good. The other 3 are going to a friend to see if they work for his bow.

Yeah thanks, Ga law states its got to be atleast either 7/8 or 1" cut ( cant remember). I am gonna try and shoot for close to 10gpi

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:10:21 pm »
Same here. I'm making mine 1"

Offline 1ahBprimitive

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:02:04 pm »
the place i found a lot of info on arrow weight v/s penetration is DR ed ashby's library on www.TRADBOW .com site . i know yall dont do fiberglass bows but it's the most exstensive research i'v found to date on arrows and how they work 
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »
I don't believe GA law says anything about broadhead width unless it is a new reg. I think it only says that arrows have to be of broadhead type for hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC