Author Topic: Best sinle book for beginners?  (Read 4486 times)

Grunt

Best sinle book for beginners?
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:16:48 am »
I am going to teach a two day workshop on beginning bow, arrow, and string making. I expect to have 10-12 students and the workshop will be in the form of a demo rather than each student actually working on their bow. I will have them make a string, arm guard, tab, have them split feathers, scrape the stave and board bows I will hopefully bring to life. I will get them shooting bows that I have already built. I want them to walk away with a book. The students are following a Lakota path. So far it's a toss up between The Bent Stick, Ham's the Bows and Arrows of Native Americans, Waldorf's The Art of Making Primitive Bows and Arrows. Which book do you guys think would work best?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Best sinle book for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:50 am »
I like the bent stick,but both are good books. Good luck with you class,pass it on.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:00:26 am »
 I like Ham's. Mostly because that was my first book.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23:21 am »
I think Traditional Bowyers Bible vol 1 is hands down the best book for beginners, but it isn't on your list so...........  I have all the books and didn't think the others had the instruction a budding bowyer needs to build his first bow. But that is just me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:33:38 am »
I like Jim Hamm's book. Lots of good info on bows and arrows both plus a good tillering guide. A lot of the TBB vol 1 is taken almost straight out of Hamm's book.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mudd

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:09:04 pm »
What Justin said. If I could only own one book and I've owned them all, I wouldn't part with my TTB Vol.1.
It's so easy to read and understand that even Mudd can use it...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
God bless
Roy L"Mudd" Williams

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »
I've always liked The Bent Stick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:02:58 pm »
"The Bent Stick"!  Excellent info for making whitewood bows and good info for any wood bows!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »
personaly i never read anyone them
i learned the old fashioned way
trial and error along with
the sharing of knowledge from one individual to another
thanks to this site  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Grunt

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »
Since these Lakota folks share what they have it looks like I'll be getting six copies each of the Bent Stick and TTBB 1. Jim Hamm's article on tillering in the TBB 1 is pretty good as is the Bow Design article by Baker. If I get twelve students and four become bow builders I'll be happy. I'm going to try and get a educational discount on the books. Thanks for your input guys.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »
Good choice. Bent Stick is the easiest book to read- IMO.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »
If you get 5 students you can always offer them the other book at your cost and they will be set.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:20:32 pm »
Don't forget Stil Wilcox's, The Art of Making a Selfbow.  Some great and down to earth info in that book.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Best single book for beginners?
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:43 am »
The Bent Stick for sure. Jim Hamm is a great guy but his book has some info in it that is not the best for making an osage bow. Leaving an island of wood around a pin is one that comes to mind as well as whip tillering a bow. TBB1 is a little much for a rank beginner, all the tillering charts and graphs go way beyond what a newbie can absorb.

Want some tillering gizmos for your class? I have a box full of them laying around in my shop somewhere.

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »
"TBB1 is a little much for a rank beginner, all the tillering charts and graphs go way beyond what a newbie can absorb. "

This is true.  I first read TBB1 11 years ago and I can still learn from it when I pick it up.  Although with only that book and a handplane I made my first bow with a hatchet and a handplane at 15 years old.  It shot thousands of arrows that summer.

But it is very hard to absorb a lot of that information at once.  It takes hours knee deep in shavings for some of those lessons to transfer from reading material to usuable knowledge.  But I think it's fun to go back and read something and go, "Oh, now I get it". 
happens all the time with this forum for me :)
Nate Danforth