Author Topic: River chert that works!!! Sawfiler I cant believe it!  (Read 2294 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

River chert that works!!! Sawfiler I cant believe it!
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:53:54 pm »
Howdy guys found some new stuff its probably high grade Esopus but not all of it is!  2 things went wrong #1 a day off that I rarely take off and ran out the house leaving my coordinates and my rock hammer, bopper.... #2 my kids were dumping rocks in the truck I didnt want.  They did manage to get a few right including snake hill which is grainy to me.  The smaller stuff I collected was about 6 or 7" long nodules that are greyish outside is kinda orangy brown.  I even found a rock with white petina that was pitch black.  Itsnot as pretty as some rock s but I study the local inhabitants and there ways so when u can find local rock to knapp I am very happy.  Thanks guys for reading my boring posts!!!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: River chert that works!!! Sawfiler I cant believe it!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »
ok

Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »
more

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »
u

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:12:21 pm »
Ok last pic was something else I found but its not chert!  LOL  Not bad for using river rock hamer stone and a deer antler...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:30:00 pm by AncientArcher76 »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »
Russ, Thats some pretty good lookin rock for the area you live in, an the last one is great for the tools you had on hand. Went to a local stone tool show an got to sit in with Mark Bracken an Mike Santioga an hit a little rock, nice to knapp with experienced knappers ;D Try a glean some tips off from these guys 8)  Bob

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:21:39 pm »
Oh yeah that cool I know Mike Mark Ive seen but never met they are both some top notchers!  Good for u maybe u can show me something or 2?  Im down for anything primitive or learning a new technique.  Thanx BOB!  the pics dont do any justice they kinda look like rocks out of my driveway but when u take a flake it is so smooth u can see the shock wave and the bulbin the one pic. 

L8TR Bob,

Ru$$

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:28:59 pm »
That's good lookin stuff Russ!  Better than I can do within 50 miles of my house. :(
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 07:12:43 am »
thats the stuff i learned to knap on. nice haul
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct