Author Topic: Rock Check??  (Read 2864 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Rock Check??
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »
Hi guys doing some rockhounding stumbled on something unique?  Can it be some kind of volcanic glass in NY state???  I found near bylooking like coral with chunks of the same stuff in it.  Not sure if it is limestone kinda looks like it.  Anyway I found in a river that has veins of a few diferent types of chert running through it I didnt find any flint found some black waxey looking chert  Can it be I found Volcanic glass in NY STATE???  Im impressed for whatever it is some is bubbly most is a dark green with grey bands or swirls running through it, I found one that was nearly black.  It was up and down the river ranging from fist sized cobbles to chunks that were size of a football.  Smooth rounded surface.  Here it is...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Rock Check??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »
A few more...Also I got a box of rock with some real nice chert dont know what it is called it is brick red on the outside and cream colored in the middle came from OK the red stuff...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:41 pm »
That thar would be "slag" glass. It's a by-product of an iron ore operation. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:38 pm »
Yep, definately slag from iron or sreel production.  It is all ove Tannehill Park, if you can find a chunk that is not full of cracks, it knaps just like obsidion.  Some pieces are better than others, a lot of them also have "snowflakes" or pieces of ash in them.  Bill

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:52:01 pm »
The red on the outside, cream in the middle sounds like keokut.  That is a guess, might be able to tell with a picture.  Bill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:44 am »
that is some giant slag. never seen pieces that big round here.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:39:41 am »
I was gonna say slag myself, nice chunks. Looks like ya sprung a little leak?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 07:03:49 pm »
I don't know anything about NY so I'm not going to argue with the slag conclusion, but I can show you a whole mountain of obsidian that looks just like it. It must have been outside for a lot of years, it sure has a lot of oxidation on the outside.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:42:33 pm »
like Justin i know squat aboot NY,but more than likely slag,
however i do have some obsidion that loks exactly like that first pic
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 01:33:50 am »
Russell,
When you chip it especially thru some of the bubbly areas, do you get some sulphur like smells, That is a dead giveaway it is slag. Slag is very common here in the North east. some of it dates to before the revolution.  No obsidian sources in New York.
Steve

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »
Thanx guys I know obsidian wasnt likely but when u stumble on a hunk of glass like that was pretty exciting.  Come to find out in the late 1700's the Dutch were mining up over the hill for Iron and there are 3 big huge tunnels that no one knows how they got there.  Awesom type in 3 tunnels  ellenville / pinebush and look at those pics...I found them through researching the glass!!!!  WOW....

Russ

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
after looking at those pics again
i think i have some advise for ya
just for your own safety,i seen all that blood in that one pic,box up all that slag glass (it is dangerous stuff )
send it too me,i wont bleed as bad,i use mostly obsidion and dont have much blood left anyhoo  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »
Yeah my mistake I had sandles on and a chunk went down my shoe when I stood up...well 250lbs dont take much went right through the ball of my foot I almost had to go to the ER when I remembered ClintEastwood bit down on a stick and touched his wound with a hot poker.....ah eh eh eh ahhhhhh ...........................wa WA WAAAAA!!!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Russ