Author Topic: Silk wrap  (Read 14242 times)

huntersim

Re: Silk wrap
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »
I think if that dont hold it, not much else will. I've never done a thread wrap like you did, just because I like to hide the patch, but it sure looks like it will hold well.

Just curious Justin, do you think it lifted a splinter in that spot because of the way the limb is bending at that spot? Or do you think it was from another reason.  Also, did you check the tiller before and after the wrap, a comparison of sorts?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:41:48 pm »
No Matt, I didn't check it before the wrap. I was scared to. My guess is I did something to cause it. I built it for my 2004 pronghorn hunt. I had been shooting it for about 3 months. I went out to shoot it about 3 days before the hunt and when I strung it I heard it pop.  I used sinew to wrap it. I made it through the hunt and got my speed goat, but the splinter seemed to get worse.  I wrapped it again only this time I put a sinew patch on, much like the black silk patch. That was a BIG mistake because it caused more splinters to lift and started a hinge. I took it off immediately and it has been sitting for over a year waiting for me to get brave enough to fix it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

huntersim

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 09:04:35 pm »
Thanks Justin. Wasn't trying to sound critical if I did, just curious. I like to look for the root cause, comes from my profession I guess. I seem to run into all sorta problems building bows.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 09:55:06 pm »
I didn't think you were being critical.  I never could figure out what caused it. I usually set them aside until I find the root cause. But with 3 days left and no backup, I was just getting it fixed NOW.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah