Author Topic: elm backed cherry  (Read 20204 times)

jamie

elm backed cherry
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:21:11 am »
well i finally finished one. backed a piece of cherry with some edge grained american elm. i like the elm better than hickory now. it had an 1" of reflex off the form and set in dead nuts flat after shooting about 50 shafts off of it. still not finished needs some sandingand ill probably put a black walnut finish on it. right now its 45lbs at 26. im giving it to a friend who draws 27 so after sanding it should be perfect for him. ill post some more after its done. peace

oh yeah after 3 shots i heard a tick and was waiting for it to hit me in the head. i put a slice of walnut over the splice for the backing and one corner of the slice had lifted. sanded it down to a good glue line and it was fine. i forgot how heart stopping that sound is. lol
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:24:03 am by jamie »

Offline DanaM

Re: elm backed cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:23:21 am »
Sweet tiller jamie, yer friends gonna be a happy camper.
Did you use any sapwood?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:27:19 am »
thanks dana . no its a light cherry heart. nice wood but im not crazy about it. now that i finally got a laminate to stay together its kinda addicting because of the ease of work compared to the self bows especially the stone ones. lol

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:36:14 am »
Jamie, She looks very good, especially the tiller.  Before you get too attached to laminated bows, read my "What to do" post. Definitely a comedy of errors.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 01:07:38 pm »
Looks good, Jamie.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:11:53 pm »
Nicely tillered - what else can we expect from jamie?  Looking forward to more pictures.  Bookmarked, though, for April backed Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:29:30 pm »
Nice bow, can't wait to see it all stained up. Looks like you have a good sized shop.
VB

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:35:26 pm »
Nice jamie, I imagine that elm is perfect for the cherry, match made in heaven, great tiller on that bow as well. Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 02:37:39 pm »
Very nice Jamie. Elm does make an excellent backing material, so does Ash though.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 03:38:38 pm »
.......................Lookin' good.....bob

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:00:25 pm »
That sure is a sweet tiller.
Gordon

Dustybaer

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:17:24 pm »
yep, that was my first thought too:  tiller doesn't get any better than that.

jamie

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 06:34:07 pm »
thanks fellas. however this one is staying home. the sliver of walnut i had to sand down has a crack under it in the elm. its not growing or clicking but i definetly wouldnt hand it over to someone so i'll keep it for a target bow. when the corner lifted the glue tore a small crack in the backing oh well. shoots great though. i may wrap it with sinew and silk just to be safe. i had a feeling i had too much bend near the fade. not used to doing stiff grips. next time ill leave it a bit thicker in the fade. im putting a finish and grip on it tonight so i'll get some pics up later. peace and happy fertility day. lol

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 07:30:17 am »
Nice jamie,I have alway wanted to try some cherry,need to cut some and give it a try.By the
way I am finely finishing them arrows,hope to be shooting them this weekend. ;D
       Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 07:56:21 am »
thanks pap. enjoy the shafts . i'll be setting up to make more and send some out to you within the month. peace