Author Topic: Homemade Slingshot  (Read 23508 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Homemade Slingshot
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 04:41:17 pm »
I can't believe he was such a good shot with such odd shaped stones, that's incredible.

Got some data for ya JW

The lead balls that my freind shoots (we got just over 200 fps) are 0.43 inches in diameter and 116 grains. that equals 10.3 ft-lbs of energy, not bad if you ask me.

In comparison, the most common slingshot ammo you can get in hardware stores and stuff is 3/8" steel. the ones i have are only 54.4 grains, giving only 4.8 ft-lbs of energy.

I need to start pouring some lead balls if i'm going to do more hunting with my 'shot.
45# at 27"

Offline bushguy

• Bush lover, from way back... :)
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 09:59:55 am »
i make slingshots and hunt with them as well. i know guys who won't go in the woods without one. i slingshot with a lead ball is lethal on any small game. I make mine from the crotches of trees as i think they are stronger. my favorite material is buckthorn, yes, that invasive, nasty crap that grows everywhere now, but it is a beautiful wood and makes a great slingshot.

Nice looking fork Gopher. I also like Cascara because it's strong, light and nicely colored naturally. :) bg
The bush keeps me young...

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 10:38:24 am »
Made lotsa slingshots before getting into this bow-making craziness.
Not so many now.
Made a few for deer huntin' friends as they seem to appreciate taking a slingshot along on their hunts ... squirrels often provide ready targets.

Did do this one last spring and gave to friend at Marshall. A pc of spalted oak gifted by another friend . . . . .

Did another as Christmas gift, but can't find any pics.

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 03:48:00 pm »
I'm sure I saw somewhere on YouTube someone shooting arrows with a slingshot. As said really brings out the kid in you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »
When I started reading this thread I was thinking in the back of my mind that this subject comes up once in a while and that I was looking forward to seeing what new someone might say....then I realized I was reading MY response to a very old thread.  Heck, it had been long I forgot what I had said!!!

(Funny coincidence, I have been binge watching The Walking Dead.  You would think I would recognize a zombie thread faster than I did!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 11:44:05 am »
The one on the far right was mine when I was a little kid 50 plus years ago. My Father gave it to me and I now let my Grandson shoot it (Replaced the band of course, eventually I will gift it to him but I am not quite ready to give it up yet). The other ones are just some ones that I made to mess with. The one with the green band really packs a punch!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
Many advantages,to a slingshot.Some Survivalist "Experts",prefer them as their weapon of choice.As someone mentioned previously,they shoot arrows from them and the spine is not critical with slingshots.Im a natural fork slinger myself.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »
I guess I am confused about sling shots cause I thought a sling shot is what David slew the giant with.  At any rate I have been making and using them all my 70 some years of life.  During
World War Two you could get all the natural red inner tubes from the tire places.  Made fantastic crotch rockets.  When I used to guide elk hunters I always had one in my saddle bag to shoot fool hens.  In the spring in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska I used to shoot the ptarmigan and we cooked them in the rod oven.  Growing up in Cody, Wyoming we could sell Magpie legs for 5 Cents a pair.  Could not afford the 36 cents it took to by 22 shells. Lots of good memories.  Joe   
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 08:50:19 pm »
Cool memories, Joe! Thanks for sharing.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline helmet

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:11 pm »
Brain S, what is the green band material? I wouldn't mind making one.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:17 pm »
imo, http ://slingshotforum.com/ is the place to go for slingshot info/advice. Those folks have the experience and helpfulness ya see here on PA.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 10:32:16 pm »
Forgot to mention my brother and I killed a lot of rattlesnakes on my father in law's ranch between Cody and Yellowstone. When we had them we used old ball bearings!  Learned from my dad!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 11:10:09 pm »
what is the green band material?

Looks like exercise band material. The big box store based in Arkansas carries 'em.

Offline Loope

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 01:46:44 pm »
Joe,

I know what you mean about the name.  When I was a kid, my Papaw would correct me that a "slingshot" was the name for the leather thong with a pouch that you slung around to throw the rock... like David used to kill Goliath, but that a "flip" was the name for the type that used rubber bands.  That didn't keep me from calling my rubber band type device a slingshot, but I do remember to this day that the proper name is "flip".  He has been gone for over 20 years now, and it still makes me smile to remember him.

Michael

Offline BrianS

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 08:24:26 pm »
Helmet,
It is exercise band. I bought a bunch of it at Walmart and cut it into strips.